Cutting worm thread on #12

Pauldarby1

Active User
Registered
When my #12 is rebuilt I need to cut a 10tpi worm on a shaft. I have a VN 10" horizontal swivel dividing head. I want to use this, driven by the table feed gearbox. Unfortunately I don't have any of the gears for this. Does anyone one have the set of gears and brackets that they don't use and are willing to sell? I know there is a 'Wanted' section on the forum, but as it's a Van Norman specific part I thought I would ask here as well.

Paul

Looks like I'll have cut a set of gears. Can anyone help with the diameter of the gears?
There appears to be 10 gears as follows:
100, 86, 72, 64, 56, 48, 40, 32, 28 and 24 tooth

All the info you need to cut them gears is in the machinist handbook. You got the tpi and the tooth count.
Looks like I'll have cut a set of gears. Can anyone help with the diameter of the gears?

IIRC, the gears are either 14 or 16 pitch, 14.5 degree pressure angle. However, it doesn't matter what pitch or pressure angle you use as long as they are all the same. I would check for stock gears from McMaster-Carr or Boston Gear and machine them to suit. McMaster seems to have most of the smaller gears. Misumi can machine all but the 86-tooth gear on-demand in about 2 weeks; these would be metric gears, but that's fine for your purposes.

Cal

Back