Drilling with the Carriage on a Lathe

ycroosh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hi folks,
I just posted a short video that shows how to quickly set a up tool post mounted drill chuck on a lathe.
I've been using carriage for drilling for a couple of year, and much prefer it for smaller drill sizes. When I need to put some hurt on a piece of steel with 1" drill, I still use the tailstock, since it gives me good mechanical advantage, but for small drills, the carriage is king.

The video is here:

Hope you like it.

Regards
Yuriy

I have smallerish drill chucks with hollow bores in the arbors . Mount a shaft in the tailstock chuck and you have a micro fine feed chuck ( which I do have ) .

I have a toolpost-mounted drill chuck as well. It's great for peck drilling, drilling to a precise depth, or for enlarging holes. In the latter case, if starting out with relatively small drill bits and working your way up to relatively large holes, it's nice when compared to a TS mounted chuck because the TS usually needs to be moved back to accommodate the larger/longer drill bits.

I align mine using a pair of specially prepared lengths of drill rod. They get me close enough by eyeball and feel.

One caution though. I was trying to enlarge a hole in some brass stock and the drill self-fed. It pulled the carriage right out of my hand before I could react. That was when I learned about the practice of "dubbing" drill bits for drilling brass.

Wow you've built a nice system!

Back