Fair value for a VN#12?

I made the seller an offer, now I will wait and see what happens. Regardless of how this particular one goes, I will keep looking for a VN mill - they are very cool!

Don't be surprised if he takes it.
I bought 2 from Pennsylvania- one in the Poconos (a divorce sale $400) and one in Philadelphia (a school sale $300).
I parted one out, kept the other.
Others have said they paid similarly cheap prices at fire sales.

They are bigger than the hobby mills and the small shop mills like the Clausing 8520, and so not as desireable.
They are harder to dispose of. Like I said, I could have gotten a late 40's one for $600 near me in very nice shape.
I decided not to take another one apart, though I can now do it in a couple hours.

The VN mill is really stout and I am told it can take nice sized cuts without blinking an eye.
The #12 is the largest one I can get in the basement. The #16 is a more modern version of it, and has some updated features.
If you have the room, you may want to try for a #16.

Nelson

Just my 2 cents
But I paid $ 600.00 for my 1940 # 12
It was in working order and hooked up so I could test it as well
Complete set of collets and about 60 lbs of end mills , fly cutters ect...
My machine was missing the vice but it came with a add on Fray head as well
If you remove the upper portion of the mill and make it less top heavy it can
be loaded on to a 1/2 ton pick up ,I had no problems at all with the truck and it was
over an hour drive
Just load with care and strap it down tight
The Van Norman is a perfect basement machine it's way shorter than a Bridge port
and can do more

I seriously doubt he's going to get $1500 for that mill, although it certainly looks like it's in fine shape. Really need to listen to it for sure though.

If it all checked out, both motors and the gearbox and spindle bearings, etc., I might offer $750, but that's based on what we have around here. All he can say is no.

*****Post number 1000*****

I agree with what Dave said. Mine is still apart outside under tarp waiting to come in, but it fits well in the basement.

I paid $300 without tooling. I had some tooling with the first mill ($400). I only have a Chinese vice. Wish it was a Kurt!

This is a very rigid and versatile mill.

Nelson

Tony Wells link=topic=2858.msg20580#msg20580 date=1312410737 said:
*****Post number 1000*****

Congrats Tony on number 1000!!

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the continued discussion - the seller was not offended by my offer and is standing firm for now, and indicated that he might hook it up later in the year so I can have a test drive.

Tony - if I have never heard one run before, I am concerned that beyond verifying that things work, I would not be able to detect warning signs.

I am also considering that the available collets, tool holders and overarm support do make it more attractive (although it has not long horizontal arbors) and less costly than a Bridgeport. I have not been looking for long, maybe 6 months, but mills in my price range (<$2000) do not appear all that often around here, especially machines like the VN. I think the seller is thinking along those lines too.

Anyway, I am comfortble sitting on my hands and watching the market for a few more months. Thanks for the advice.

The seller is making a mistake. It will NEVER sell for what he is asking, and, if it does, the person overpaid by a factor of 2 (at least).

Search Ebay- there is one on there for $1300, and it has been there for months.
No one is going to pay that. He was warned on another forum that he is too high, and refuses to listen. So be it.

A nice two-tone paint job, a little tooling (yes, it has a little, not a lot), and an overarm don't justify $1500. The overarm and support SHOULD come with it.

Be patient. These come up for sale from time to time. I will keep my eyes open for you. I see them advertised- that is how I ended up with 2.

Nelson

Im with Nelson
The overarm support is not optional equipment every #12 needs it
And as far as running the machine it should make a very smooth hum
there should be no odd noises what so ever in any gear
The only other way would be to open the gear boxes and inspect the gears
to see if it's ever been shifted under power, the fastest way to kill any machine
And never buy a paint job
My #12 was covered with 50 years of dirt and grease but inside it was mint
$1500.00 is over the top ,I think he's trying to pay himself by the hour for the paint work !

Back