Found 2 10” SB lathes online

Markbinwi

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Been watching online for a first lathe. One has stamped on the brass tag “swing 10, bed 4, catalog 199-A”. It has the cast under drive base and legs at the tail stock end. The tumbler has 1 lever and a knob above that swings left and right.

The other is “swing 10L, bed 4 1/2, catalog 8187RN”. This one has a 5drawer cabinet and underdrive door and lever and tube legs that loop to the floor and back.

I’ve searched these catalog numbers and found some close but no matches. They both have the knob and not the lever on the apron for travel.

Can anyone tell me more about these?

Thanks Mark

The 8187 is the heavy 10 "toolroom" machine with extra precise leadscrew
the other one is I believe a "light" ten
www.Lathes.co.uk is a good resource for all things SB

Also, I think the heavy 10 has a larger spindle bore that allows use of 5C collets. The lever for feeding is a later feature, perhaps in the 1950s.

Hi Welcome to HM

Can you post pictures of the lathes? It's hard to make a determination on just a description. Generally, I'd lean towards the 8187, heavy 10 but it depends on the condition.

If you have the serial numbers of the machines, you can get the "Serial cards" for the machines. These cards are the original factory specifications for that exact machine, including any accessories and the name of the customer who ordered it. They are available from Grizzly.com who now owns the rights to the South Bend name.

Thanks for the reply’s. I’ve only seen photos, haven’t gone to inspect them yet.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 33
Back