GAS-TAS-MAS?

Rob_fixit

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have yet to make a single chip with my recently acquired Atlas 618 but the desire to buy tooling is very strong! In musician circles it's referred to as "GAS"=gear acquisition syndrome, and looks like here it's referred to as "TAS"=tool acquisition syndrome. Before I read "TAS", I wondered if if was called "MAS"=machinery acquisition syndrome...the funny part being that "MAS" in Spanish (starting learning a year ago) means "more" which would be rather appropriate. :)

Anyway, thus far I am enjoying traveling down the road of discovery-research-desire-deliberation-acquisition-(soon to be implementation).

Atlas is a good starter lathe- 618 is actually not an official name for the 6" machine but it's just an impromptu name to
describe that model as opposed to the later "square head" machine (aka MK2)
It is possible to do a hobby lathe on a budget- you can just buy tooling as you need it or if something is on sale
I still don't have a proper steady rest for my machine and it's been years LOL

I have yet to make a single chip with my recently acquired Atlas 618 but the desire to buy tooling is very strong! In musician circles it's referred to as "GAS"=gear acquisition syndrome, and looks like here it's referred to as "TAS"=tool acquisition syndrome. Before I read "TAS", I wondered if if was called "MAS"=machinery acquisition syndrome...the funny part being that "MAS" in Spanish (starting learning a year ago) means "more" which would be rather appropriate. :)

Anyway, thus far I am enjoying traveling down the road of discovery-research-desire-deliberation-acquisition-(soon to be implementation).
In my world MAS=mandolin acquisition syndrome. It was coined in the early two thousand ‘s I believe and was the first time I’d heard of the disease.

Back