Have you tried winding coil springs on your Sherline Lathe ?

I would wind it by manually rotating your chuck, no power feed needed. It's simple to do; if I can do it, anyone can! Rotate the chuck by hand and manually move the carriage as you wrap the wire.

If you were making a compression spring with closed and open coils, I'd wind the closed coils by manually rotating the chuck. Then engage your half-nuts to "thread" the spring on the mandrel. Disengage the half-nuts after you hit your open coil count, then manually turn the chuck to do the ending closed coils.

I attached a photo of Machinery's Handbook spring arbor page. You'll need to do a little development; a 1/4" OD spring made from 0.020" music wire should have a mandrel 0.165" in diameter. I attached some threads of some of the springs I've made and the jig I made for winding them.

A technique for securing the start of the coil on a torsion spring like you need is to drill/tap a hole through the mandrel for a set screw. The start of the spring is trapped under the screw head; let's you stick a leg out before winding. That'd be a pretty tiny screw for a <0.165" mandrel so I don't think that'd work.

A couple of "winging it" alternatives would be clamping the end of the wire to the mandrel with a small clamp. Another is to loosen your chuck and slip the starting leg under one of the jaws. Yeah, the mandrel will turn out of center which might not be a problem. If it is, wrap a loop of wire around the other two jaws so all three jaws are clamping down on the 0.020" wire, that'll center the mandrel. Or, drill a cross-hole like doing an extension or compression spring and manually bend the straight leg after the fact. Your wire at 0.020" bends pretty easily.

Another thing to account for is (pun intended) spring back. Machinery's Handbook mandrel size of 0.165" plus 0.040" of two wire thicknesses is 0.205"; once cut the wire will unwrap on the mandrel and yield a spring ~0.250" OD. This also reduces the number of coils in the tightly wrapped condition vs. the free-state condition.

I did the math on a Bridgeport safety handle torsion spring which worked out pretty close. In your case, (assuming a 1/4" OD instead of 6mm OD spring), here's the math:

0.205" OD (0.165" mandrel plus 2 diameters of 0.020" wire) x pi = 0.644" circumference
0.250" OD x pi = 0.785" circumference

Looks like your spring has 9 full coils:
9 coils of a 0.250" OD spring = 7.07" length (coil length only, not your extended legs)
7.07" length / 0.644" circumference = 11 coils.

I'd start by winding 11 full coils and see where you end up; adjust the number of coils when winding as needed.

Bruce

20230218_170158.jpg

Many Thanks BG.

I'd found your posts earlier. Since all of the springs will be same diameter and wire size - just vary number of turns as required, I thought it better to make a little jog/fixture for making them. That means the Sherline won't be tied up with this setup.

I'll sketch up what I have in mind and post it here so it can be trouble-shot.

John

I have done many coil springs on my Sherline.. I use the Sherline threading attachment and do not run it under power.. I did make a tool to hold in the toolholder to feed in the music wire. It works really well.

I needed to do this to create small springs that could offset higher weight which don't appear to be commercially available.

Back