HF grinder stand junk

This is where the used equipment dealers come in once again. The dealers I visit usually have at least half a dozen quality machines on stands ready to go to work. Last fall I came across a Baldor like this for $400.00 out the door. I was tempted, but already have 2 similar ones in the shop, and don't need a third.

I already have the 8" (on the stan... at the 10" for $400 out of principle... GsT

I believe in buying used too. Especially to get some old quality machines.
Same here. The only reason I spent $200 on that grinder stand was the fact that my grinder base would not fit the cheaper bases. My grinder is a heavy weight,less l

I haven't tried that style, nice to know they are usable if you adjust them a bit. For HF's pricing on the low end stuff, fixing it up a little isn't so bad. I usually think of their stuff as a parts kit that I am going to have to modify. That has led to bending/cutting/welding wrenches and such, but that's partly why I keep them around. Sometimes I really need a specific shape of tool that makes no sense for anything else. :)

I have a couple of the bent sheet metal stands with 4 legs. They are alright. Not great, but usable for a few things. One actually has an HF grinder on it, only used it a few times but sometimes a wheel grinder is what you need. The wheel is total crap though. I really need to order a nice one for it. I think I've gotten more use out of the buffing wheel. One of them has a couple of reloading presses on it. I thought for sure I'd be replacing it quickly, but it gets the job done.

I haven't tried that style, nice to know they are usable if you adjust them a bit. For HF's pricing on the low end stuff, fixing it up a little isn't so bad. I usually think of their stuff as a parts kit that I am going to have to modify. That has led to bending/cutting/welding wrenches and such, but that's partly why I keep them around. Sometimes I really need a specific shape of tool that makes no sense for anything else. :)

I have a couple of the bent sheet metal stands with 4 legs. They are alright. Not great, but usable for a few things. One actually has an HF grinder on it, only used it a few times but sometimes a wheel grinder is what you need. The wheel is total crap though. I really need to order a nice one for it. I think I've gotten more use out of the buffing wheel. One of them has a couple of reloading presses on it. I thought for sure I'd be replacing it quickly, but it gets the job donIf you realy want

https://hftools.com/app68321

I fell for it....I bought one. I needed a stand for my Kalamazoo belt sander that I use for nearly all my deburring work.

The thing is garbage. The hole in the base is tapered and only goes halfway down. It's sort of close to the right size at the bottom but there is a huge amount of room at the top. So much slop that the tube can tilt dramatically so the only thing holding the tube straight is the stupid locking bolts. Crazy.

The top of the tube isn't much better.

This morning I finally fixed it. I was all excited to throw the base in my 16" swing lathe..... it was an inch to big on the swing!

I threw the base on the mill and roughly dialed in the top hole and bored it all the way through with the boring head. I absolutely love my boring heads. They are so much fun to use.

Anyway... if you make the mistake of buying this raging piece of cr*p, it is great practice to bore it out and slide that tube further in so it will not flop sideways while your grinding.

On top I drilled a hole to catch a pointed set screw so it cannot push away and slip over the top. View attachment 488982

Like I said...garbage...until you fix it. Then it's okay. I love having it on the dolly. It can't be in the way for long.
I looked at that type stand for my vise then chose the 4 legged version they had, it works well.

Back