Home made ? Shaper

cross thread

Registered
Registered
I wish the guy would have put something next to it for reference . If this was in fact a home made project . Wow .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364343889471?hash=item54d4968e3f:g:-O0AAOSwAcRkrDa3&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwBQ+F/MiYro4Hzg6jF/g9tYYlwUASYJr5Mm6cIXq6OiZFXA72I+Pa9zySO0YZea6TheK3yvUEdYh0S98ZDOWQUiPqN41D2HDSCTyhN0kLx0Bt6tuu3AXhljOXWBpm41qLCGXqyN8CnFAufsCKjxeszIg4KUrRjR7PecGlqYv96x9NdJsfNVivSg/l+LR/I4ev3a41DeL4s1aQoqG1lVtmjqryJLEGX7NgG38r9K6X69JhjgDqv79AoKOs5HavTXqnA==|tkp:Bk9SR9SfjvaoYg
1689120413738.png

OK , well this is interesting . The same e bay seller also has this punch press for auction . It 's made by Rudy Bucki . Did Rudy make the shaper ? Calling @francist

Attachments

• 1689121259469.png
    1689121259469.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
No kidding, “wow” is right!

Pretty hard to get a feel for the size but just scaling off a kind-of-similar piece of oak I’d guess maybe four to six inches across the front on the shaper base? The texture of the muslin backdrop also suggests it’s pretty small. I like how he cut across the grain every now and again to simulate floorboards with pegs on either side of the joint. Classy.

Not having much luck on his name though — only the eBay listing you’ve already linked. Sure looks like his handiwork though with same choice of wood and stain colour for the plinth.

IMG_9681.jpeg

@francist , you really have the eye for this kind of stuff . "texture of the muslin", "simulated floor boards" . I missed all that , I see the scraping though . But that's pow right between the eyes .
Mark .

Thanks, I come by it partly by nature and partly by occupation.

When we'd go to our grandmother's house as kids we were often given the "Hausfrau" magazine to read -- essentially a Family Circle magazine from Germany (it means "housewife") to keep us occupied. There were always a puzzles in the back that were image-based as in "find what doesn't belong" in this picture, type thing. I loved those doing those! Finding the one window out of ten that didn't have a window latch, or some other such thing.

Later on I got into museum work and historic restorations of buildings and landscapes. In that field you need to find any way you can to extrapolate information from historical references, photographs, physical traces on the artifact itself, etc to direct you on the proper path for a restoration. Sometimes it's really challenging to find something, but like the so called perfect crime there is always something left to give you a clue. And after nearly 40 years of doing that it's almost second nature to me. Plus I still like the challenge -- it's just like the puzzles in the back of the magazine for me... :)

Back