Hydraulic Press Release Knob

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Another long awaited mod done. I added a release knob to the hydraulic cylinder. I hate having to use the pump handle. Still mulling ideas on interchangeable ram tooling. Probably attack this as the projects dictate.

DSC03770.JPG

That's a worthwhile addition. Quite a few years ago I did something similar to my hydraulic engine hoist. It was very difficult to control the descent of heavy loads using the jack handle so I machined a handle about 4" long that fits nicely over the valve on the jack. It is now very easy to control heavy loads. I highly recommend doing this for anyone having similar issues.

Ted

I did the same thing on a machine that I built for shaving the inside of wine barrels to expose fresh wood for aging wine.

Nice handle. I did something similar, twice. Once for my own hydraulic press and again for my gunsmith's barrel/action vise. In both cases I machined a new valve stem and used a standard faucet handle. Surprising how different the valve stems were.

Attachments

• Hydraulic Press Valve Stem Handle 01-06-24.JPG
    Hydraulic Press Valve Stem Handle 01-06-24.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Hydraulic Press Valve Stem 04-2022.JPG
    Hydraulic Press Valve Stem 04-2022.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Pauls Hydraulic Press Valve Stem 05-2022.JPG
    Pauls Hydraulic Press Valve Stem 05-2022.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 8
I bought a knob from SWAG offroad. Not as nice looking, but it works.
Anyhoo, I posted because of your ram tooling comment. Here's what I've done. Hopefully the pic is mostly self-expanatory. The one shown handles 3/8" punches that I make from O-1 or 4140 depending on what it needs to do. I have another cross-bar for 1/2" diameter. Anything larger goes in 'caps' that I put on the ram. I can't take credit for the idea - it's from a book on building AKs - but it has far exceeded it's usefulness there. Posts are G8 1/2"-13 rod, I forget the name of the nuts, but they have a flat on each side so they remain square to a shoulder.
press.jpg

That's a worthwhile addition. Quite a few years ago I did something similar to my hydraulic engine hoist. It was very difficult to control the descent of heavy loads using the jack handle so I machined a handle about 4" long that fits nicely over the valve on the jack. It is now very easy to control heavy loads. I highly recommend doing this for anyone having similar issues.

Ted
Yeah, the increased control is a huge improvement. But, the biggest improvement is not having to grab for the handle in the middle of a press operation.

I bought a knob from SWAG offroad. Not as nice looking, but it works.
Anyhoo, I posted because of your ram tooling comment. Here's what I've done. Hopefully the pic is mostly self-expanatory. The one shown handles 3/8" punches that I make from O-1 or 4140 depending on what it needs to do. I have another cross-bar for 1/2" diameter. Anything larger goes in 'caps' that I put on the ram. I can't take credit for the idea - it's from a book on building AKs - but it has far exceeded it's usefulness there. Posts are G8 1/2"-13 rod, I forget the name of the nuts, but they have a flat on each side so they remain square to a shoulder.
Thanks for the info. Looks like you have a nice set up there. Problem is press tooling can be really custom depending on your tasks. I am leaning to interchangeable ram extensions and supports.

Like most guys, I like nice knobs, so I made a knurled brass one for my press.

Back