I Should Have Bought a Lottery Ticket

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yesterday I broke a brand new Sossner 10-32 tap, leaving the point buried in the part. No problem, I have a 4mm carbide PCB drill. Started drilling and it wasn't working. Grabbed my magnifier and checked the drill. It was chipped and the corners were gone. Walked out to the grinder and resharpened it on the green wheel. Did it all by eye (with magnification of course), a drill point gage is nearly useless with something this small. Went back to the mill and finished the job without drama. If I'd known I was going to be that lucky, I'd have run down and bought a ticket.

I'd win the lottery and get run over by a train the next day . :grin:

Yesterday I broke a brand new Sossner 10-32 tap, leaving the point buried in the part. No problem, I have a 4mm carbide PCB drill. Started drilling and it wasn't working. Grabbed my magnifier and checked the drill. It was chipped and the corners were gone. Walked out to the grinder and resharpened it on the green wheel. Did it all by eye (with magnification of course), a drill point gage is nearly useless with something this small. Went back to the mill and finished the job without drama. If I'd known I was going to be that lucky, I'd have run down and bought a ticket.
Sossner were the worst taps we ever got into our system at work.

I even detailed breaking one3 off and getting it out in one of my threads.

ETA, found it.

I broke another one yesterday. Drilled it out with the same carbide drill. Sossner used to be good taps.

Back