Imperial thread sizes on Myford lathes?

Ockert

Registered
Registered
I hope somebody can help me. I have just bought a Myford Super 7 and a Myford ML 7 lathe which I am restoring. The problem is that I am missing some nuts and bolts for these. As I am from South Africa where we use mostly metric sizes, I am not very familiar with the imperial sizes and they are not as easily available as one wants. Can somebody please give me the sizes of the nuts and bolts used on these lathes. I am specifically looking for the size of the 4 bolts that hold the head-stock to the lathe bed of the ML 7. Some books say it is a M8 but it only go in for a few turns before it get stuck. Both these lathes must be of the first ones when I look at their numbers. I am also looking for the thread size of the nut that is used on the tool-holder for both these lathes. It seems to be 7/8 inches, but I don't know which thread it is. I will really appreciate it if somebody can help.

Thanks
Ockert

Ockert,

I'm not familiar with the Myford's and don't know how old being from early production would make them. But if they date from the 1960's or back, the threads may be Whitworth (BSF or BW). I know that Land Rover didn't finally finish converting over to UNF/UNC until the Series III came out circa 1973 (just in time to be forced to switch again to French Metric). The equivalent size to M8 in UN and Whitworth would be 5/16". Nominal diameter 0.3125" instead of 0.3150". I'm also not familiar enough with Metric to remember the thread pitch choices, but you can get a start on ID'ing the bolt by the head size. UNF and UNC will be a nominal 1/2" across the flats. BSF (British Standard Fine) is just slightly larger. And BW (British Whitworth) is yet again a little larger. If I knew the thread pitch on your M8 cap screw I could guess closer.

Robert D.

I suppose it is all sorted by now I have ML7
cheers Kiwi

Back