Is this motor suitable for a small lathe?

skogkatt007

Registered
Registered
I currently have a Prazi 5" x 12" lathe sitting unused. It needs a crap ton of other work. But I was rummaging through the garage and found this old grinder. I was thinking if I added a start capacitor it would be suitable for even threading and such.

Attachments

• 20240110_164148~3.jpg
    20240110_164148~3.jpg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 18
Usually for a small lathe you want a slower motor like 1600-1725 rpm, especially for threadcutting
Faster motors make threading very difficult since you'd like to have a spindle speed in the 50-80 rpm range
It depends on your final drive ratio
A variable speed motor is a great feature to have regardless

Last edited:
is it likely to be powerful enough. That's my main concern.

I'll keep an eye out for someone throwing out a treadmill. There's none on my local CL currently.

is it likely to be powerful enough. That's my main concern.
I'm using one on my 9x20 and drill press. Very slow speeds still require using the belts to get a bit more power but I've never had a problem.

I think these are the machine specs if yours is an SD300
1704937837384.png

I'd be inclined to go with something like this from our forum sponsor Custom Crafter.

I got the same type of motor off eBay before he came out with his kit, it's just the thing for a small machine. Variable speed is really nice to have.

If cost is a big factor then free treadmills are a good source, also small motors off appliances can be had cheap or free.

John

Back