Lathe Taper

I’m having a hard time envisioning how that works. Can you show a picture of it in the lathe how it would work?
This is a very good presentation, a little long winded but pretty thorougher.
this one on different materials
If your having problems with finishing then give it a go you will be very pleasantly surprised.
The angles of the grind are flexible but the feed needs to be very slow.

Thanks all for your time and attention. The middle of the rod was several thousands large but repeated cuts with no adjustment evened things out. I am just learning. I was making a pen so tolerances are no big thing other than trying to hit as close to my dimensions as possible. I aligned the tailstock by making repeated cuts and adjusting the tailstock. I made a lot of mistakes, but it came out OK. Not real pretty but it works. I did a light knurling, so it looks even. I do not have a steady rest.
This is a very good presentation, a little long winded but pretty thorougher.
this one on different materials
If your having problems with finishing then give it a go you will be very pleasantly surprised.
The angles of the grind are flexible but the feed needs to be very slow.
Thanks very interesting.

Sloppy... not...

I would be concerned about the middle. Without a follow rest the stock will just move out of the way.

How did you align your tailstock?

A 2 coller test, using a 4 inch or so length of 1 to 3 inch diameter stock turned between centers will allow you to get tailstock aligned to get equal diameters.

Even if it is slightly different elevations, the 2 collar method compensates as you measure the cut and adjust until both ends same.

Once done, you use dial indicator to adjust.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I adjusted the 2 screws in the tailstock.

Back