LMS CNC

papermaker

Active User
Registered
I want to connect CNC a new mill from Little Machine Shop. Has anyone had experience doing this and what is the best hardware and software to use?

Are you talking about getting the HiTorque mill, and converting it, or purchasing one of their pre-assembled CNC mills?

If the first, those mills are a variant of the Sieg X2 (actually, the SX2). Lots of people convert them, and you can even buy kits. I recommend checking out hossmachine.info. Hoss has taken these little machines farther than anyone else I have seen. I think he still sells conversion plans too.

As for hardware, you can get driver/motor kits on E-bay, or through vendors like http://kelinginc.com (I got my servos and drivers from them). For software, people usually go with either Mach3, which runs on windows. Or LinuxCNC/EMC2, which has it's own built in operating system (Linux). I went with LinuxCNC, because I prefer Linux, if you are not familiar with Linux, or you are more comfortable with Windows in general, Mach3 is probably a better choice for you. Both are very capable, and for what most hobbyists do, there is not a significant difference. I hear that Mach3 is easier to get up and running, but I don't have any direct experience with it. You could try out both, LinuxCNC is a free download, and Mach3 has a demo version. The hardware (if you are using a simple parallel port breakout board) will be the same for either.

If you are going with one of their pre-assembed CNC mills, I think everything is included.

I'm going to convert a hi torque machine. I lots of questions about hardware. The x and y can use a 280 in/oz, stepper motor and I see they recommend a larger stepper motor for the z axis. How do you determine what size stepper drive do you need ? The mill needs to have ball screws on all 3 axis?
I think I will probably go with Mach3 software. I see that they must have incorporated "Lazy Cam" into the Mach3 software.
Anyway I'm sure there will be more questions as things progress.

I have found some good videos on YouTube that show and explain how to hook up the electronic which I have really found very helpful.

Back