Looking for someone to machine small hammers and wood handles

ssdesigner

Registered
Registered
I am looking for someone to make me10-15 of these. They are steel with red oak handles. I have 3D files and vector files. DM me if interested. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
A few questions...
Will this need heat treatable steel and heat treatment for hardness and durability?
Are you looking for a cnc shop to machine these?
To save on machining cost, could the steel handle part be separate from the hammer head and be welded or brazed on.

Considering the pick end , I would guess that you will want the head hardened and tempered. This will require a medium to high carbon steel. Hammer heads are usually made by drop forging which strengthens the steel by aligning grain structure. Any machining would be secondary..

If you haven't seen this, it is an interesting video on making hammers. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...nese-hammer-making.107419/page-2#post-1057881

Will this need heat treatable steel and heat treatment for hardness and durability?
These are to be display pieces only, so they will not be used as hammers. That said, they should be made in a way to prevent rusting because they will be handled.

Are you looking for a cnc shop to machine these?
Not necessarily. They can be made without CNC.

To save on machining cost, could the steel handle part be separate from the hammer head and be welded or brazed on.
That is exactly how these have been made. The weld spots just need to be cleaned up to make it look like one seamless piece.

I have made lots of hammers and generally use wood for the handles. It simplifies the process and
I like the feel of a solid wood handle taking up the shock. Of course there is more than one way to do something
but I see no advantage in a handle with a metal center integral with the head. :dunno:

Back