Mini-lathe faceplate

Sandro

Active User
Registered
Hi everybody

I thought I'd post this picture of a faceplate I made a few years ago for my mini-lathe. It was written up in Home Shop Machinist in the July/August 2011 issue.

I cut out the disc with a hacksaw and did all the machining on my mini-lathe and mini-mill. It took a while but I got through it. Haven't used it yet, But I'm sure I will one day.

Sandro Di Filippo

dscf0890.jpg dscf0759.jpg dscf0789.jpg dscf0884.jpg

Sandro, I always admire people who are willing to hacksaw out a round plate like that, or any other labor intensive hand method of doing something many of us take for granted with power tools.

Your faceplate looks nice. I assume you trued it up after mounting on the spindle. Thought of anodizing it?

Hi Tony

I've always liked using hand tools if given the choice, it's nice to work at a slower pace than my day job demands. I sometimes think that hand tools can give you a lot more control over your project since it's easier to control a hacksaw or file and remove just enough material in just the right spot.

I machined it all over on the lathe so I'm sure that it's running true, though haven't needed to check it yet. I kind of like it in the natural finish, anodizing looks good, but scratches are to visible.

Thanks for the compliment.

Sandro Di Filippo

Back