More gear set learning

Stude48

Registered
Registered
I am hoping to learn how to make timing gear for antique engines here. my 1920 studebaker has had a thrust bearing failure, and wiped the front gear set. it consists of four gears in the train. one of which is the generator drive which runs vertically off of the crank gear. all of the gears are a silent type.

I believe these gears are helical. The only way I know how to make these, is using a gear hobbing machine. The other way is what Keith Rucker is doing in these video's starting with this one:
. It's not as easy as cutting a spur gear on a milling machine. Find an old Machinery Handbook, 1915-1925 or so for dimensional specifications, which could be different than modern ones. I came across this issue making spur gears for a gear box made in the 40's. Also, select the proper steel grade and they must be hardend afterwards. Good luck!

yes they are helical, and I do have several early machinist manuals. I am trying to wrap my head around the gear cut dirertional change from a what is otherwise a conventional timing gear set.

Just a thought, you could redesign the setup and make them all spur gears. It would be less costly and if done correctly, wouldn't contribute to much added noise.

Back