MT2 drill press chuck vs lathe tailstock chuck

Here's a photo of one from Precision Matthews. They sell for lathe tailstocks. I was going to buy for my drill press.

I called and asked if it can be used in my drill press. They indicated that there was a difference and recommended that I don't use in my drill press. I did not comprehend what they were trying to communicate to me as to why they don't recommend using in a drill press.

View attachment 475788
That would actually work as shown in the picture, the flattened tang at its end is for that application to resist twisting in the taper...

In some tailstocks the tang can limit the travel. I knew that an arbor without the tang would eject from my tailstock. When I got a new chuck and arbor I cut the tang off to gain some travel. When the travel is only theoretically 2-5/8”and in reality even less, the 5/8” or so gained by losing the tang is a big deal.

In some tailstocks the tang can limit the travel. I knew that an arbor without the tang would eject from my tailstock. When I got a new chuck and arbor I cut the tang off to gain some travel. When the travel is only theoretically 2-5/8”and in reality even less, the 5/8” or so gained by losing the tang is a big deal.
It isn't always that way. I've got multiple MT3 drill chucks, live centers and dead centers. Some without a tang will eject, and some won't...there isn't a set length that's standard so it can go either way on any particular lathe.

I'm only saying that so someone doesn't read it and think "it doesn't have a tang, so it will eject from my tailstock" like it's always the case. It seems to be actually pretty common that people run into situations where they won't eject.

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say. Looking back I see that I implied that I had tried it but I didn't explicitly say so. Yes, don't go hacking the tang off if you don't already KNOW that it will eject/release without it. Recently I got another lathe that has a 4" travel on the tailstock (Heaven!) and all of the tailstock accessories need a tang to remove them. Just went to the shop and checked; the tailstock barrel is machined to use the tang as a drive tang. That sure makes it easier to not have the chuck spin when making large holes. Fortunately, with a tang tools will self eject without needing a wedge.

Last edited:
This is probably a silly question...

Some mt2 chucks are labeled as lathe tailstock chucks and others indicate that use is for a drill press.

If a chuck is made with a MT2 taper, why would it not work in both my South Bend tailstock as well as in my drill press...both accept MT2?

Is there a "drill press" MT2 and then a different "lathe tailstock" MT2?

Thanks
No tang need for the tail stock.
There is also milling with a draw bar threads.
For mini lathe stub type too.

Dave

Back