my #12

eddysykes

Active User
Registered
photo.JPG Hello ! just got my #12 today.. Its my second one. the first was back when I lived in Detroit. Still kicking myself for not bringing it with me to LA.. It took me a few years to find one here and finally I got it!! SN is 5421-12 so its an early to mid 1940 I guess.
No tooling but its in really nice shape.. there is a great little stamping right under the SN that I would like to know more about.. its the US navy stamp I think.. An anchor with "US" flanking it..
is there a way to find out where it lived its life while in service?
Thanks
And looking forward to learning more about this guy!!
Eddy

- - - Updated - - -

photo-1.JPG this is the stamping.

photo.JPG photo.JPG photo-1.JPG

Eddy--very nice looking and good find--Dave

thanks dave,
I have the bed resurfaced and the guys at century machine in LA did a great job giving it the once over.. not bad for $900
the draw bar looks like it was modified a bit so I have some searching to do in regards to that and a collet set etc.. but all in all, couldnt be happier.. I finally got my mill!

Eddy--what type of collets does it take?---Dave

It has a hardinge collet in there now.. 5v BUT it looks like the draw bar has been cut and welded photo-2.JPG
its apx 9.34 from the shoulder to the end of the draw bar ( in the photo)
YOu can see the weld joint - its just been touched up with a grinder so its pretty crude
the PO also added a 3/8 shim between the same shoulder I am measuring from and the contact surface that draws the collet up.. because it seems that the drawbar is too long to close up a collet..3/8's too long
so I am a little at a loss..

photo-2.JPG

That's an original draw bar....some of the parts on the VN12 look shop-made...but are legit.

Not sure about any welds or shims, but Hardinge 5V is the same as the Van Norman 5C collet....no problems there either.

Nice machine! Post more pics...we have our own unique VN community here!

Back