My Experiuence With the LMS 3960 Mini Mill

Wireaddict

Active User
Registered
Hi all:

I got a LMS 3960 late last summer & am pleased with it after I installed a power feed unit on the X axis, air counterbalance, tach, DRO on the X & Y axes [all available from LMS] & trammed it. I had to tram mine a second time because I removed the column to make it easier to orient the base & saddle to where it was easiest to drill & tap them & install the DRO scales. I trammed the column using just one indicator & had problems getting it right until I figured out what was happening. Here's how I did it: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/19364-Tramming-made-easy!!!!?p=162899#post162899 A couple more things I found that make this a better machine are [1] the tach mounts to a plate by the spindle motor by means of glued-on magnets. These magnets are no match for the forces of gravity & normal vibration so the tach was always falling off while the mill was running until I replaced the magnets with mounting screws. [2] Another worthwhile improvement if you use a vise with the mill is to add a couple keys in the slots under the vise so it's always square with the table. And remember it only weighs about 124 lbs. so it'll vibrate [a lot] if you push it too hard but it's easy to run & work on & it makes good parts for me & I'm no expert.

Last edited:
I have one as well and agree with you on the worthiness of this little machine.

If you stay within it's intended work envelope, it will produce good quality/accurate work. If you try to push it like you would a 800 lb mill drill or a big knee mill it will get ******. ;)

I just bought a slightly larger machine to support some projects I have in mind but will keep the LMS mill. It has already made some small parts for it's big brother.

And LMS is one great company to work with IMO. Enjoy your mill. I will. :D

Bill

Yup, I second the vote on Chris at LMS. He is a walking talking store house of mini machine knowledge. I definitely always look at LMS first for anything on my current shopping list.

Bob

Yup, I second the vote on Chris at LMS. He is a walking talking store house of mini machine knowledge. I definitely always look at LMS first for anything on my current shopping list.

Bob

Yea, Chris has helped me a lot over the years. I think he was just getting started when I bought my first mini-mill and lathe.

And while my little SB 8x18 and PM25 are slightly larger than what is normally considered mini machines, I still get many things from LMS. I bought his 4" Professional vise to use on my new machine. I liked the specs and enclosed/hardened leadscrew, and I just like giving him my business when I can as repayment for the service and answers he's given me over the years.

Bill

Another big thumbs-up for Chris and LMS from me. I bought a 3960 mini mill a while back and couldn't be happier. I bought the air shock thing when I bought the package, but I haven't installed it yet. So far I've only done small projects, nothing to push it beyond its limits. It has performed beautifully! I'm still learning to tram the head, I'm getting better and better. One thing I'm glad I bought (a while after my mill purchase) was the video by Swarfrat on tearing down and tramming the mill. It's pretty good.
...Doug

Back