[Documentation] My First Lathe Worksheet

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Looking to make your first lathe purchase? Don't know where to start? Use this worksheet to think through the planning process. Come back to this forum and share your results and fire away with all of your questions!

Attachments

• Selection Criteria - My First Lathe.docx
    56.7 KB · Views: 44
That should help people to know what questions to ask or at least let them know what info to provide when asking.

I like!!!! Maybe a question or two about general mechanical ability. Something like a range of,,,,, I’ve never done anything mechanical or woodworking to I’ve done all my own repairs for years and want to add to my skill set.

i can’t help but wonder at what the reaction is. Will a noob think it’s too much reflection or too many semi obscure terms like bench queen? The reason besides being too busy i disappeared it is obvious from your background Bryan you are more than qualified to do this. And I’ve been in on too many “by committee“ projects that went nowhere because of too many cooks. You might also have a peak behind the scenes to see how many look at this and actually do it or just go and ask what kind of lathe. Sometimes it seems a way to break the ice and get into the flow of the forums. I think it’s a very worthwhile project and hope it catches on and has a way to evolve that helps the new comers.

One other option that fits sort of inbetween delivery with a lift gate and having to hire riggers is renting a fork lift (or already owning one!). Some of the heavier lathes can't be delivered with a liftgate, but are an option from a flat bed if you can off load it (fork lift!)

I think as a starting point to answering the questions the newbie looking for a lathe should focus first on what they would like to make initially. Then look to what would be needed to make their project. I call this a statement of requirements. SOR for short. With their SOR in hand they can then start to answer the questions in the excellent worksheet that Bryan created..

My SOR had two things that I wanted to be able to do. First was to be able to modify the rear axle haft shafts on the 1966 MG Midget that I am resurrecting. The other was to be able to chamber rifle barrels. These were the top two items on my SOR. Next was budget. $1,000 max. The rest of my SOR all dealt with the limitations that my garage placed upon the size and power available to operate the lathe. The axle project required 24" between centers. Chambering barrels requires either at least 1 3/8" spindle bore or 36" between centers. To contour barrels requires 36" between centers. My SOR narrowed my search to lathes with at least 36" between centers. Swing was not important but 36" between centers was an absolute must. I didn't even know about the cost of tooling when I started this. That knowledge came later as my search progressed. I ultimately ended up with a craftsman 12x36. Cost more than my initial budget but came with lots of tooling.

Back