Newbie how to mount this vice

Drebs

Registered
Registered
Hey guys I’m a long time woodworker new owner of a mini mill and craftsman/atlas lathe I’m restoring now. I got all these in a weekend at an estate sale for a great price. I also got 2 metal Toolboxes full of Machinest tools, some Browne and sharp squares and straight edges, a lot of which I’m not sure what they’re for. So I’m just diving in the works and possibles of machining and have been watching a lot of YouTube videos, I’m 35 and should be into the Cnc ect but I think too many skills are being lost and who know la what the future holds. We rely so much on technology with little know how. Anyway for another time …

my question is I got this great vice my only problem is I can’t figure out how to mount it to my 7/16 mini mill track. I did get a kit like this one , but no matter how hard I try I can’t get a tight clamp...

I’mIMG_3741.png

here is the vice it has some scalloped cuts in the side I’m not sure what it takes to be fasted .IMG_3646.jpegIMG_3647.jpegIMG_3648.jpegIMG_3645.jpeg

That looks like something that could be clamped in another vise. You'll probably want to pick up something like this.

John

I've made my own hold downs similar to this
winkys workshop
But it doesn't look like that vise is made to be clamped down.

Not the greatest vise by any means but I had a discussion on here with another member about the 3" vevor which is a Kurt knockoff (basically the same as posted above from LMS) and decided it was adequate for a budget minded hobbyist. The person I discussed it with had terrible luck with the 4" Kurt knockoff, but whether that was simply an issue with that particular vise or the model in general IDK.

try this

Hey guys I’m a long time woodworker new owner of a mini mill and craftsman/atlas lathe I’m restoring now. I got all these in a weekend at an estate sale for a great price. I also got 2 metal Toolboxes full of Machinest tools, some Browne and sharp squares and straight edges, a lot of which I’m not sure what they’re for. So I’m just diving in the works and possibles of machining and have been watching a lot of YouTube videos, I’m 35 and should be into the Cnc ect but I think too many skills are being lost and who know la what the future holds. We rely so much on technology with little know how. Anyway for another time …

my question is I got this great vice my only problem is I can’t figure out how to mount it to my 7/16 mini mill track. I did get a kit like this one , but no matter how hard I try I can’t get a tight clamp...

I’mView attachment 473880

here is the vice it has some scalloped cuts in the side I’m not sure what it takes to be fasted .View attachment 473876View attachment 473877View attachment 473878View attachment 473879
Those are finger grooves for holding the small vise on a bench with one hand while you use a tool to do something to the workpiece or to make the vise easier to grasp when positioning it on a magnetic chuck or a surface grinder: you can’t use them to clamp the vise down to a milling table. You can use it to hold a small part and the clamp the setup in a larger vise (Joe Pie and others show this in a number of videos when working on small parts).

Based on the size and screw, this could be a toolmaker’s vise.

I've made my own hold downs similar to this
winkys workshop
But it doesn't look like that vise is made to be clamped down.

Not the greatest vise by any means but I had a discussion on here with another member about the 3" vevor which is a Kurt knockoff (basically the same as posted above from LMS) and decided it was adequate for a budget minded hobbyist. The person I discussed it with had terrible luck with the 4" Kurt knockoff, but whether that was simply an issue with that particular vise or the model in general IDK.
That was me.

The 3” is gtg out of the box. The 4” is best purchased as a pre assembled kit and the packing was terrible.

Back