No. 12 Van normal serial numbers.

jamie76x

Active User
Registered
I have a no. 12 van norman for sale and a customer asked what year it is. As per the normal information using the google on the internet machine there is a page that lists serial number info. It suggests the ser # should read 12-XXXX but also in the fine print it says there are some machines that were marked differently. My machine is marked with a 13XXX format . I did see some posts on a few sites that came up from the search saying they had similar numbers and their "books" recognized this number format. Does anyone have any information other than what is online?

I have a no. 12 van norman for sale and a customer asked what year it is. As per the normal information using the google on the internet machine there is a page that lists serial number info. It suggests the ser # should read 12-XXXX but also in the fine print it says there are some machines that were marked differently. My machine is marked with a 13XXX format . I did see some posts on a few sites that came up from the search saying they had similar numbers and their "books" recognized this number format. Does anyone have any information other than what is online?
I've never heard of a 13XXX serial number on a Van Norman No. 12. The serial number is stamped on the front surface of the vertical flat way for the knee, at the top. Sometimes it's 12-XXXX, sometimes it's XXXX-12, and sometimes it's just XXXX. XXXX should be between 5000 and 9999. Apparently in 1954 they ran out of serial numbers and added another digit, i.e. 10000, but I don't think they got to 13000. Can you post a photo of the machine?

Cal

The machine is a no 12, Its right in the casting. The numbers are in the normal spot on the top right hand side of the way, the numbers just don't make make sence. I have run into a hand full of these machines before and all had the normal number format. I have read about other machines with the same 5 digit number, but can not find info on how to tell how old it is.

Don't get pissy Cal...... You replied to my post with the same exact information that I provided in the original post. Sorry you can't be the hero on this post.
If anyone has any information other than what is in the original post, then please share.

Don't get pissy Cal...... You replied to my post with the same exact information that I provided in the original post. Sorry you can't be the hero on this post.
If anyone has any information other than what is in the original post, then please share.

Easy fellas....Cal is one of the most knowledgeable people around on this mill.

The best written source I know for the numbers is Jim Kasunich's site:
http://jmkasunich.com/vannorman/VN_Serial.htm

From Jim's site:

The model number and serial number of a Van Norman mill are usually stamped in the front face of the column, at the top. For example, my mill is stamped "12-5751". The "12" means that it is a model #12 mill. The "5751" is the serial number. If I run down the #12 column of the table, I see that the last mill made in 1940 was number 5443, and the last one made in 1941 was 5903. Since 5751 is between those two numbers, I know that my mill was made somewhere around the middle of 1941. Not all mills use the same format for the serial numbers - an owner of an older #12 has informed me that his mill is marked 5074-12, (serial number first, then model number). It is possible that some mills don't include the model number at all, or that they have additional digits before or after the serial number to specify options, etc.

Another very knowledgeable source is Repair Parts Inc.

http://www.repair-parts-inc.com/

Could you post a photo of the serial number? They appear all over the machine including the tool tray, ram bed, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back