Oil Hardening

bretthl

Registered
Registered
I'm preparing to make some bushings (dies actually) for a my Duo-Mite bender. Each shall be round 1.5" long with a 1/2" center hole for the pin and will vary in diameter from 1" to 1.5". The material will be O1. I need them hardened (oil quenched). I will temper. I will pay and provide return shipping label. I can't get there with fake-MAP gas.

I think you CAN get there with fake MAPP. You might need two decent burners, but your part does not have that much mass. I think you can get it to non-magnetic orange.

I think you CAN get there with fake MAPP. You might need two decent burners, but your part does not have that much mass. I think you can get it to non-magnetic orange.

Maybe but I only have a Bernzomatic head.

If you can get some insulating firebrick (not hard firebrick) or some ceramic wool you could make a tiny furnace just larger than the part. That will get you there. I have some firebrick scraps that I stack around my parts for this purpose.

I could do that. As a plumber with a big tip torch, a acetylene oxygen cutting rig and plenty of old thread cutting oil and a son who is getting into forging I have plenty of options.

I'm preparing to make some bushings (dies actually) for a my Duo-Mite bender. Each shall be round 1.5" long with a 1/2" center hole for the pin and will vary in diameter from 1" to 1.5". The material will be O1. I need them hardened (oil quenched). I will temper. I will pay and provide return shipping label. I can't get there with fake-MAP gas.
PM me. I'll do it for you and ship out next day. How many pieces?

I can do it also. My heat treat furnace has done a lot of O1. Is a staple I used in training as well as my personal shop.

Back