Parting Operations on the Lathe - Lessons Learned & Best Practices

davidpbest

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
When I was first getting started, parting operations were absolutely the most challenging and frustrating aspects of lathe use. So, I decided to document what I learned in my quest to overcome my fear, uncertainty, and doubts on the topic, and attain reasonable proficiency in parting operations.

Are you finding it difficult to get consistent and successful results with parting operations on the lathe?

Perhaps the attached document will be helpful to you and others who struggle with this important but quixotic lathe operation.

Attachments

• Parting on the Lathe - Best Practices.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 446
Thanks for this. Good write up.

An excellent article, Mr. Best. My parting issues were solved by these steps: First, the Takisawa TSL-800D lathe. It's a brick house. Second, the CXA Aloris 71 holder and blade with the GTN3 inserts. Thirdly, starting at a modest speed, maybe 150 RPM or so, and speeding up as the diameter reduces. And, a step I have not gotten past, hand feeding and watching the chips come off, adjusting feed rate to maintain a good chip. Power feeding remains too risky. Someday I'll just chop off washers of 303 then 304 until I get it figured out.

Excellent article. I too had issues with parting. Starting off with an Atlas 10" was fun to say the least. Using a lantern post is no joy. Broke that while parting and purchased a QCTP made a world of difference. When I got to a heavy lathe, parting was almost too easy using inserts tooling. Tool set up, Lube, backlash control to prevent grabbing of the tool, power feed were items I found to be looked at carefully of course.
Pierre

When I was first getting started, parting operations were absolutely the most challenging and frustrating aspects of lathe use. So, I decided to document what I learned in my quest to overcome my fear, uncertainty, and doubts on the topic, and attain reasonable proficiency in parting operations.

Are you finding it difficult to get consistent and successful results with parting operations on the lathe?

Perhaps the attached document will be helpful to you and others who struggle with this important but quixotic lathe operation.
Thank you for your generous sharing!

I am an amateur mechanical enthusiast and have also experienced painful periods of car disconnection. But now I also want to share some of my experiences. 1. Suitable tip height is very important. 2. The number of revolutions suitable for different materials is also important. 3. Proper feed speed. 4. Choose a sharp blade. 5. Excessively slow feed speed does not reduce vibration. 6. Break as close to the chuck as possible.

Of course, I changed some of the hardware of the lathe. A. The spindle is driven by A frequency converter, which can be adjusted at will outside the mechanical gear. B. I gave up the wheel feed and replaced the fast moving motor. The motor can be used to control the feed and the feed speed can be arbitrary. Therefore, after the spindle speed can be changed arbitrarily and the feed speed can be changed arbitrarily, the operation of the break becomes easy to control, so the operation becomes easier after the fear of the break is eliminated.

Confidence is very important

Thank you for sharing this. It will be very useful for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back