phase o matic on VN#12?

eddysykes

Active User
Registered
I have a phaseomatic on my clausing 5914 and I have no problems with it at all, so I was thinking of getting one for my VN.. It has the original motors and I will be machining well below the machines capability. alum and brass mostly.. I am not very electronically proficient so I want something that i can do myself.. is anyone out there using a phaseomatic and if so, I would love a little guidance.
thanks

I have a phaseomatic on my clausing 5914 and I have no problems with it at all, so I was thinking of getting one for my VN.. It has the original motors and I will be machining well below the machines capability. alum and brass mostly.. I am not very electronically proficient so I want something that i can do myself.. is anyone out there using a phaseomatic and if so, I would love a little guidance.
thanks

Do you mean Phase-O-Matic (rotary only) or a Phase-A-Matic (rotary and static)? If it's a rotary you can probably use it for both machines.

if you mean static phase converter, check what is HP requirement is the the HP of the mill. your clausing probably has a 1- 1.5 hp motor,if your mill has that or close *by that i mean 2 hp most) then i think your gtg. be sure to check how big your static phase converter is. Also you can't use both at the same time, but you cant run both at the same time either. you can use one static converter to start several machines but you'll have to turn the first one off before starting up the next one.

Thanks Toag, what you said confirms my thought that turning one on is acting like a rpc. My mill "other three motors" will not run until the
main is on, then they will run, and continue to run even turning off the main. So with a heavy duty static phase absoulutly no problems,
yet, and I say yet, cause it seems every time I praise something it blows up. lol.. but in steady 8hrs, motors are warm, but my coffee is
way much hotter. I been studing Tubal's new VFD vidio, but how's this going to work on a mill with 4 3ph motors without some serious
cutting wires and stuff? For me to go to VFD I think keep the static for X Y Z and cut wires for the main for a VFD.

Or I'm a smokin something, lol, - I'm just not up to this new stuff. Think I'll pass on a VFD belt changes on Cinys are easy anyways.
Bottom line is - no problems and I do not have issues with that loss of (2/3) HP stuff, sometimes I forget to unlock the spindle lock and it
WILL smoke the belts.

so mark this one, as, It works for me.
sam

For a mill with traverse motors coolant pumps and spinle pumps I would look to make or buy the parts for a rotary phase converter. I found and just rebuilt a 10hp for my rpc, which I start with a pull cord. Rpcs can be that easy. And with a little cash you can buy a rpc kit on ebay that will balance the voltage on the lines and use a cap to start it.

3 phase , gives you all the motor hp, smaller wires to run, and some say easier on the motors... but before my rpc I used a static with zero problems, and I ran a saw and lathe on it

Thanks for the input.. It is indeed a static phase A matic
I had no idea you could run multiple machines on it. thanks for the info!!
I was just thinking that I would spend 200$ and get a dedicated inverter and have one on each machine.. Since I think I would spend well over that amount in T&M running EMT pipe from the lathe to the mill..
The site does say that it is about a 30% loss of power which sounds like a lot if it werent for the fact that I have never even come close to overloading the Clausing.
So much to learn about these mills, I hope there are not too many surprises. I already am scratching my head in regards to the draw bar mod that I mentioned on the other thread..

Thanks for the input.. It is indeed a static phase A matic
I had no idea you could run multiple machines on it. thanks for the info!!
I was just thinking that I would spend 200$ and get a dedicated inverter and have one on each machine.. Since I think I would spend well over that amount in T&M running EMT pipe from the lathe to the mill..
The site does say that it is about a 30% loss of power...

That's true if you are running only one motor. If you have one large motor idling it acts as a rotary converter and the other will deliver pretty much full power.

Ok, if I understand you correctly, I would be using either my lathe or my mill,(which ever one has the most HP) as a means to power the other with pure 3phase power?
basically turning one into a RPC ?
If that is the case then great!
Or am i missing something.. ? or ... A static can run two machines with each losing the 30% plus the act of turning on the larger motor first in order to start the smaller motor?
Sorry if this is a question that has the answer right in front of me.., it just is a little bit confusing..

Ok, if I understand you correctly, I would be using either my lathe or my mill,(which ever one has the most HP) as a means to power the other with pure 3phase power?
basically turning one into a RPC ?
If that is the case then great!
Or am i missing something.. ? or ... A static can run two machines with each losing the 30% plus the act of turning on the larger motor first in order to start the smaller motor?
Sorry if this is a question that has the answer right in front of me.., it just is a little bit confusing..

A "static converter" does not convert single-phase to three-phase. It converts a three-phase motor to run on single-phase. However, a three-phase motor so running, with no load, generates three-phase. Thus if both motors are roughly the same size and you start them both up but let one idle while loading the other the the idling one will act as an RPC for the loaded one, allowing it to run full power. One of the motors (the one you start first) will have to have a start capacitor and relay. If one motor is much larger than the other put the static converter on the larger one and start it first.

However, big three-phase motors are reportedly cheap, so building an RPC might be the simplest solution. I put a "static converter" on my Avey because it has the only three-phase motor I have, and even if I only get 60% out of it, it has more power than I need.

Back