PM-833TV CNC Conversion Accuracy?

Yeah, haven't we all? When I started, I purchased a craptastic Harbor Freight mini-mill from a friend. After a few months, I knew it was junk but liked the hobby. Then the 833T. Now the Sharp. I apparently have a sickness...
One thing I would like to mention is resale. I would suspect you will recover much more of your money with a knee mill than a benchtop mill should you decide to bail on this hobby.
Makes sense on the resale for sure. I think the moderators are going to hate me because I have taken this thread into a different dimension from where it started. I put the CNC mill on the back burner for now. That will be it's own project next year. Now I'm deciding if I want to get the full-size ACRA LCM-42 or the PM-935(specific sub-model TBD). I don't think there is any question the ACRA is the way to go if I can make it fit.....just not sure if I can without spilling out of my shop space and into the garage area. I always tell people (jokingly) that "real men keep tools in their garages and vehicles in the driveway", but my wife doesn't like scraping windows in the winter. She always reminds me that floor space is my most valuable and rare resource. She doesn't want to move, so I have to make due with what I have. :)

I think as long as you're still contemplating a PM purchase this is the right place for the discussion.

PM has some very good footprint drawings on their website, I'd suggest using some painters tape or chalk to mark out the area where the PM-935, or a bigger mill would go.

If you have the room for bigger then go for it. If not, decide what makes the bigger difference for you, rigidity or versatility.

John

Well interesting turn of events. I've decided against the PM-935 and will more than likely be going with an ACRA. Even crazier, if my PM-1440GT I have on order is late, I am going to cancel it as well. Since my mill will require a forklift for delivery, I might as well reevaluate my lathe requirements. I am going to wait and work out a package deal with ACRA. Hopefully PM is reasonable about their cancelation. I plan to be civil about it, but I happen to sleep next to someone that deals with contract law for a living and she laughed at the ambiguity.

Well interesting turn of events. I've decided against the PM-935 and will more than likely be going with an ACRA. Even crazier, if my PM-1440GT I have on order is late, I am going to cancel it as well. Since my mill will require a forklift for delivery, I might as well reevaluate my lathe requirements. I am going to wait and work out a package deal with ACRA. Hopefully PM is reasonable about their cancelation. I plan to be civil about it, but I happen to sleep next to someone that deals with contract law for a living and she laughed at the ambiguity.
Lucky you.

Back