PM932V vs Bridgeport

Nbak95

Registered
Registered
Needing some input on pulling the trigger on a mill to expand on my capabilities, torn between a precision Matthew’s 932V or a used J head Bridgeport. I’ve seen comments about the quality of Chinese made machines have worse QC before they leave, the Bridgeport is in decent shape. I’m limited on space in the garage but the J head is a 36inch table and it would fit so 932 would have more room to deal with. I’d be building my own stand for the 932 as PM is out of stock til September.
Used Bridgeport has power feed and comes with some decent tooling, clamp kit, and vise and VFD so it can be run on 115V ($3500)
New 932V is around 4300 delivered with power feed.
Need some insight on pros and cons
Thanks!

For me the Bridgeport is the easy choice. But I went from a 30mv to BP clone, and I know the 932 is considerably more substantial than the 30mv. Maybe the used BP could be a little less accurate but would be more pleasant to use in some instances

Edit to clarify: BP allows flexibility for things like hanging a tall part off the side of the table or head nod. More mass helps handle vibration and depending on wear, larger interfaces are stiffer. With wear, loose interfaces would be annoying to work around or just make it impossible to maintain precision on larger parts. PM can’t really handle the larger parts.

Also, I still have and quite like my pm-30mv, and have no regrets. It’s just smaller than a BP clone. Maybe the 933 is enough bigger that the difference from a BP is less significant.

Last edited:
Bridgeport.

More versatile, better resale, parts availability.

Nothing against PM, but if you go with the bench mill you’ll always be wondering if a knee mill would have been better.

I went from an RF30 to a baby knee mill and am very happy I did.

John

I've never had a bench mill so my suggestion just comes from having a Jet 9-49 knee mill that I got used. I'd go for the Bridgeport, hands down!
A knee mill can do things a bench mill can't: ram move in/out, turret rotate, nod, mass of an integral base.
comes with some decent tooling, clamp kit, and vise and VFD
That stuff can be worth a considerable amount. So the BP is 3 phase?? I will always go for a 3 phase motor as opposed to single!

There is one answer. Bridgeport.
That little 932 will feel like a toy compared to the Bridgeport.
I owned a PM833T and sold it to buy a Sharp knee mill. Granted, my knee mill is closer to a Bridgeport series 2, but the difference in mass from the 833T is astounding. That mass makes for smoother cuts, less chatter, and an overall better experience.

If the Bridgeport mill is in good shape, then don't hesitate to grab it over the 932. Like 7milesup, I too bought a PM833TV. I was coming from years of experience using Bridgports from my machinist days. Took all of about two sessions with the 833 for me to put it up for sale. No comparison to a hefty knee mill like a Bridgeport.

Back