Resolved Post a .gif ???

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I wanted to open a safety related thread including a .gif of an operator whose shirt was eaten by the lathe chuck.

I couldn't figure how to post a .gif. I tried to post it as an image and got the "invalid file type" error. I tried to post it as a video but it looks like videos have to be hosted on an external server?

Is there a way for me to post the .gif.

By the way, the .gif shows an operator leaning over the running lathe to get something. The chuck grabbed the front of his shirt. He reacted fast and strong enough yo prevent carnage but the lathe took the shirt off of him. No blood involved so I think it's a very valuable safety reminder for all.

Good question. GIF are considered images, not video files.

GIFs are allowed as attachments on the forum. There is nothing inherently risky as far as file type goes. As long as it is appropriate.

Your GIF has to actually be a GIF file. Some GIFs copied or saved from the internet don't always make it to your download folder as a GIF and end up saved as a png or jpg or jpeg. In my experience, I don't know how to avoid that. I've found it to be hit or miss, but generally when you download or save the file to your computer, just be sure it is saved as a gif file.

Then, you insert the gif as an image. Click the insert image button above, find your file and the rest takes care of yourself.

If you are successful, your fellow H-M members will be like:

yes.gif

Upvote 0
I can't remember if I got the GIF to post or if I was only able to link it.
In this case, you could download the video and then upload it to your media album here at HM and then insert the video from your media gallery.

If you really, really wanted it to be gif, you could go to giphy.com and create a gif out of the video. You may have to pay for that now or maybe you get a couple of free gif creations. I'm not too up on that.

Upvote 0
@vtcnc

I'll check the file type I've got. Actually, I haven't previously checked it. It acted like a .gif so I assumed it was a .gif. :face slap:

Upvote 0
@vtcnc

The file is a .mp4.

I don't know how to upload it to my "media album here at HM". I can't locate my media album.

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up. :bawling:

Upvote 0
Yes, but I don't remember if I just linked it, or not.

Upvote 0
Back