Previous paint job fail.

cgcwmec627

Registered
Registered
While cleaning up my 10L tool rest compound assembly I find this paint residue where there shouldn't be any.
The previous owner had allegedly had the bushings and bearing redone and thus far I'm finding them to be in very good condition,hopefully that continues.
Clearly it wasn't painted by a profession however,I'm assuming it was two different efforts,not by the same person.
Altogether I'm enjoying the process on going over the SB,a very good learning process and I've decided to take my sweet time about it.
I'll try to document what I'm doing but I have a tendency to get involved to the point I forget to take pics,so no promises.Call it OCD.LOL.

Attachments

• 20240317_162937.jpg
    20240317_162937.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 57
Might have been the victim of an owner previous to the person you bought it from "rebuilding" (i.e. cleaning and then spray painting everything...). We've all seen that more than a few times...

GsT

Might have been the victim of an owner previous to the person you bought it from "rebuilding" (i.e. cleaning and then spray painting everything...). We've all seen that more than a few times...

GsT
Very likey,I doubt a machine from 1965 would not get painted at least once in its time.
This one shows signs of being painted twice.
The previous owner before me used it for brass gears on large clocks.I am finding brasschips but no steel so it had a relatively gentle life.

I found that some of my parts - to include the bed, had 5 coats of paint on it when I started stripping it. The positive was that a lot of it came off in thick layers almost like rubber. Interesting array of color choices as well.

Back