Remote Forward/Reverse

mxr662

Andy Little
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I would like to use the factory forward/reverse lever on my 13x40 lathe. Is there a way to have remote control for start, stop, and direction?
Can safe turn on be disabled?

Andy

Start and stop, yes.

Direction, don’t know.

I’m putting an e-stop button in line on the yellow wire coming from the speed pot for on/off as per Dans instructions.

I now have forward/reverse on the fly. just push the button, braking auto stops and reverses the motor.
soft start and braking can be set to achieve near instant reverse at what ever RPM the motor is current set at.
should work great for threading. Will do a video as soon as I find some time.

If it's a 3-phase motor then swapping any 2 of the three motor wires (with power off) would reverse it
Perhaps a relay could be wired in to interface with the existing lever?
Maybe even just the lever switch by itself could be used?

Function is complete, switch design + control unit design is still in R&D.
Reverse can be done with a simple open/close switch.
This would also allow a CNC computer to activate reverse with just an on/off function.
Same goes for run/stop. see video 2

Is this backwards compatible?
Maybe. I am still working on the design. Reverse needs to be a toggle or other more decisive type switch.
Stop/start is easy and if you have one of my systems, I can show you how.
As for reverse on the fly, you may have to send in your controller but, I am trying to make it a plug in switch to do this.
When complete, I will post a video on how well it works to power tap on the demo mini mill. Then I will install it
on my 2hp milling machine as I power tap all the time

Back