Removing the shift lever on a logan 820 lathe

dablakh0l

Registered
Registered
It's a 1946 820 with taper attachment, S/N 36444.
I have everything else removed from the apron, and I have removed the set screw in the lever, unfortunately not I can't get the lever to budge coming off of the eccentric assembly.
Any suggestions? Is there something I'm missing?
I've tried penetrating oil, and a little bit of heat, but nothing helps.
I even ground the shaft flush with the top of the lever because it looked like someone may have hit it with a hammer many years ago, and I thought it might be mushroomed out causing it to jam, but that didn't help.
Do the parts need to be pressed apart?
BTW, I'm doing a full restore on the lathe and therefore the reason I'm taking everything apart, cleaning, removing old paint and repainting this beauty.

If your shift lever/rod is anything like what's on most of these older Logan lathes it will have a stop, or adjustment collar on the opposite end from the nob and it should slide right out. If you haven't got a manual for it yet x all Logan and give them the model number and serial number and get one. I'm restoring a newer model 1935-2 that was sold as a turret lathe. Now it's just a regular lathe.
Mike

If your shift lever/rod is anything like what's on most of these older Logan lathes it will have a stop, or adjustment collar on the opposite end from the nob and it should slide right out. If you haven't got a manual for it yet x all Logan and give them the model number and serial number and get one. I'm restoring a newer model 1935-2 that was sold as a turret lathe. Now it's just a regular lathe.
Mike
Thanks.
I do have the parts list and manual, but it doesn't show anything other than the setscrew attaching it to the eccentric.
I know that sometimes older machines have setscrews that hold in a blind pin that is slightly smaller than the hole in the shaft, not a pressed in pin and although I don't see one in this case, I wasn't sure what might have been done with this prior to me owning it.

Take a picture of the area your working on and post it here. Then we can see maybe what up. You are talking about the eccentric in the Apron correct?

Take a picture of the area your working on and post it here. Then we can see maybe what up. You are talking about the eccentric in the Apron correct?
Capture.JPG
I'm trying to get these two items apart. The only thing listed is the set screw, item 0306 as shown

Some of these I have seen were pinned and still had a set screw. If I remember correctly that shaft has to be driven out from the front to the rear and the clutch has to be removed first. Try that.
Mike

Here is a parts diagram of my model 1935. There is a Woodruff key, so that handle has to come off first. Then the key removed and then the shaft should go out towards the back. Use a wire brush and clean it yp really good on that handle as it could have been pinned also. If you have to use a bearing puller with the ends ground down to fit in what little clearance there is. I usually put a small short socket under the puller screw setting on a shaft. Also lots of heat with a propane torch then spray withe a quality penatrating oil like deep creep. Let it soak a couple of hours and try again.
Hope this helps. Mike

Attachments

• 16875567787486092521594567145991.jpg
    16875567787486092521594567145991.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 3
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I was finally able to get the parts separated. Apparently, a previous owner decided that he was going to put a regular key in the slot, and then proceeded to drive it home with a hammer, which split the key, and wedged it into the the slot, and that expanded the slot in the shaft at the outer edge, and this basically jammed it in place.

I took a bench hydraulic press, and a round piece of aluminum bar and, after heating with a torch and slathering it with penetrating oil, was able to slowly press the shaft out of the handle. Now, I will have to dig out the shattered key and put the shaft assembly in a friends lathe and take a rasp to it to lust kiss the surface enough for the handle to go over it. then i will have to clean out the slot and put a new square key in the slot.eccentric.jpg

Back