Replacing heat transfer pipes in a boiler.

I remember installing the underground pipe layed for the boiler project. Each pipe is mounted inside a four inch
plastic sewer pipe and wrapped with fiberglass insulation. It's buried 5 feet underground in sand. I had to dig fox holes
every 5 feet and connect the foxholes together to lay the piping. The lines are one inch copper and are silver soldered
together. There are two pipes in each run of course and all the sewer pipes are glued as I went along. When the system
complete, I applied ten pounds of pressure for a week or more to be sure there were no leaks. After that I filled in the
fox holes. Another interesting feature is that my water line to the house is buried along with the boiler piping so there
is no danger that the water line might freeze. I'm really glad I don't live in Flin Flon since digging fox holes with a jack
hammer would be more than difficult.:grin: I see my boiler pressure is maintaining 9 psi at 160F so all appears well.:encourage:

:pickaxe:

I used 1 inch pex from the boiler to the house and shop. As bad as Flin Flon here, some places the trench was 2 feet deep in places less than a foot. Had a company spray closed cell foam around them, worked like a charm. In spots there probably isn't 6 inches of soil over the foam but the ground never thaws. Also ran a water line with the heat pipes from the house to the shop. Have scalding hot water in the winter, but at least I have water.

Greg

Looks like a very efficient -low cost way of heating your shop and home.

Right now I am appreciating the fact the boiler has new heat transfer pipes installed. It's 6am
and the temperature is minus 37F on my glass thermometer outside the kitchen window. Today
will not be a day to drive anywhere since I would have to plug in my vehicle for several hours
just to get it running and that is not the end of it either. The windows fog up heavily and metal
is very brittle at these temperatures as well as thick oil and fluids. The car seat would be stiff as a board too...:frown 2:

So, today I will spend some time in the shop where it is at least +60F.:)

I wish everyone a happy new year and thanks for reading along.

Looks like you are good for another 30. Nice job. I love my little 140 Hobart. Happy new year!! Mike

I see my first anniversary of replacing the boiler tubes has just past and the boiler is purring along and ready for another cold
season. Apparently the welding job was satisfactory so happy about that part. I still need to do a bit of wood cutting as
my woodpile is a little scant for another El Nino winter in the north woods.

Back