Sanford Surface Grinder Hubs

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a Sanford 6x12 surface grinder that I will be pickup up on Monday. it's a model MG-612. I got it REALLY cheap. I don't even know if the motor is any good. LOL!

It's missing the grinding wheel cover - no worries there, and it did not come with any grinding wheels or hubs.

Hoping someone can tell me if hubs are standard tapers, or are these "common". I haven't done any research yet (like I said, it was too cheap to pass up, so my risk is low if it's junk).

IMG_0743.jpeg

Last edited:
Check out Sopko web site. They will cover most surface grinders tapers. You will probably need a hub puller too. Check out the spindle bearings before putting any money into it. You can even turn the spindle by hand to see if the bearings are rough or not. Changing out precision spindle bearings isn’t for the faint of heart.

I'll have to run it to see if the bearings are any good. I did not feel any play in them when spinning it by hand and it felt smooth. The V ways, from what I could see at least, looked smooth, if not dirty. I might need to do a little machine way scraping on them, but that's a problem for a different day. I am hopeful I can find some inexpensive, but decent, hubs.

it appears that @projectnut has or has had one of these. Might want to check with him. Post #5

And another good post: https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/machining---lathes-mills-etc/my-surface-grinder
which may have all of the info you need

I saw that thread on PM, but since it is 10 years old, I didn't feel like I wanted to revive it at this stage.

The second link you provided to be extremely useful! It is a standard Spoko 3" per foot taper. Those adapters are still available from many sources.

Thanks!

Back