Scraper hand

sdelivery

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had the opportunity to look through an old timers tool box the other day. He was a true Scraper Hand, this was a term used for professional scrapers for decades.
His name escapes me at this moment but he worked at Warner & Swasey and I believe retired from there.
He worked for many years at a machinery dealer that provided service and repair as well as buying and selling machine tools.
These were a few of his hand scrapers.
I thought they were neat enough to photograph and share.
20230710_140800.jpg20230710_140753.jpg

Thanks for posting!!

Did you happen to score a pic of his handles? Sometimes they are very personalized.
My mentor (Danich) advocates that each person should experiment and identify how they best hold a scraper. Therefore, personalized scrapers might look very different from person to person based on body height, arm-leg length, strength, etc.

Did he say what type of material he made the shanks from?

Daryl
MN

He is gone, he passed a few years back.
Still has three big boxes loaded with stuff at his last employers shop.
Shop and building sold and I was invited to look around and see if there is anything I want.
You know I didn't look at the handles that close, I was marveled at the fact his stuff was still there.
I did notice the Scraper shafts had been made from different materials including and old file with carbide brazed or silver soldered on.
There are many "tools" various fixtures and slides to indicate with.
I scraped every day for years and years and don't really have the desire to anymore.
Most of us that did hurt, body aches and arthritis.
I still do on occasion but I am not eager.

This week another Repairman/Scraper Hand passed.
Another invitation to look through the mountains of stuff and machines.
I did see two straight edges, one of which I hope decides to jump in the truck..lol
But we will have to see where the prices
Lay. Many bridgeport parts ,scales, hardige lathe not even sure what else, and he HAS stashes and two or three other shops!

sdelivery, I respect your physical and lack of desire. I really do!

I enjoy scraping. I find it relaxing. However, I've never done it for a job or to meet deadlines.
I can do it for an hour or most of a day and skip a few days if I'd like. All depends on how my RA & OA and joint injuries are feeling.

Please keep us in the loop if stuff becomes available and remains affordable.

Daryl
MN

I don't think I'd want to do it for a living- it beats you up
You'd get some muscles tho
I saw an old electrician's hands once- they looked pretty ragged from all the cuts and injuries

Back