[How do I?] Scully-Jones Collets - How do I use them?

joe_m

Active User
Registered
I've had this wooden box full of Scully-Jones collets for at least a decade now. I almost sold them once, but since I and the buyer had no idea of how to mount them on the lathe, I decided to just keep them.
They are all marked Scully-Jones. The taper looks the same for all, but they are all different sizes. The smaller one in the pic is only 1.25" long so if I dropped it in my 1MT spindle on my mini woodworking lathe, it would just fly out the back end.
I looked up one in the Scully Jones catalog. It was marked 09330 8.9.DR and 778795. The only # I found in the catalog was the 09330 and that said it was a "Morse Taper Drill Chuck" with a 1MT and was meant to hold a drill size #8, #7, or 5.10mm. (that's as far as I could narrow it down.)

So I guess my question is, what type of adapter do I need to actually use these things? My headstock spindle is 4MT, my tailstock is 3MT. They are all different sizes so can't be as simple as a 3MT to 1MT adapter. Did Scully-Jones make some sort of universal adapter that held these things? Lengths range from about the size of a dime to about 2" long, with a corresponding variation in width but since they were all stored in one box, I'm thinking there must be one single piece of metal made to hold them all.
Thanks
Joe

scully1.jpg scully2.jpg

Joe,

The one's I'm familiar with are for holding different sizes of drill bits. Scully also made these to hold taps and other cutting tools, too. These collets were made to use with production type drill presses and drilling machines of their time. Now days we use the "ER" style collets to hold drills and special tap drivers in the CNC machines today doing the same thing.

The tapered shank were generally the Morse taper style from No. 0 and up. Your set looks like mostly No. 0, 1, and 2's. I'm sure S-J had some other tapers, too. You generally set one of these in the spindle with the drill bit installed with a persuadison tool of sorts. (hammer and punch)

I hope this was of help, if not maybe someone else will step in and comment.

Thanks, that's a start. I was hoping they could be used to actually hold small pieces for working on the lathe since the medium to large ones are the size for some of what I want to do.

I'd see more use for them in the tailstock, since there is nothing to hold them into the taper. Also there is no pass through for stock holding such as on a 5C etc. I suppose if you have a threaded spindle you could adapt to the spindle taper and make a "spindle thread protector" that would tighten the 2 tapers in. You'd have to knock them out from the back to remove though. Looks as though it might extend too long and be even less practical.

It's just my opinion but work holding limited to short pieces is more of a bother than it is worth and I consider anything without a through hole as "tool holding".

Sorry Steve.

They work real nice in a Sculley Jones Magic Chuck if you need to drill and tap a lot of holes the same size. Just load the required tools in the adapters and pop them in and out of the chuck as needed.

DSCF1382.jpg

DSCF1382.jpg

They work real nice in a Sculley Jones Magic Chuck if you need to drill and tap a lot of holes the same size. Just load the required tools in the adapters and pop them in and out of the chuck as needed.

YES! Now we're cooking with gas. So I need to find a "magic chuck." Now that I know the term I can check out fleabay, start googling, maybe a bit of yahooing and binging if need be. Many thanks!!!. Being such a newbie to the whole metalworking thing, a picture like that is a great help.

Back