Seneca falls 1910 Star 30 worm gear key (brass)

Fred1000

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone,

I just got hold of a Seneca falls lathe and love it to bits. However, I'm not loving the rarity of parts and lack of information surrounding it due to its age. I'm a greenhorn in machining and this is my first lathe. I have been trying to restore it and have come across an issue with the power feed and it not engaging when I tighten the clutch wheel. Upon pulling it apart I found that there is no key in my brass worm gear nor key way.

I have been reading a few posts on here regarding the Seneca falls lathe and it has been very insightful with a lot of experienced people on here. I noticed one member talk about a captive key. I had never heard of it until today.

The brass worm gear requires a key that slides across the lead screw which I understand, however what I don't understand is the lack of a keyway in the brass worm gear. I have attached some photos for reference.

is anyone able to please shed light as to what kind of key I would use etc.

I have also noticed grease inside the apron gears, should I clean and re-grease or should i used oil instead? any help would be greatly appreciated. IMG_4001.jpegIMG_4002.jpegIMG_4003.jpeg

-Fred

Back