Sherline motor failure

Wilwahabri

Registered
Registered
I have a motor unit from my sherline 4000 series mill (same as the one used on the lathe) which I purchased several years ago but never used. I just recently took it out of the box and found it DOA (Dead on Arrival). Not sure but I think the motor over temperature switch has failed. Is this repairable or is the unit a write off? Obviously I can bypass the switch, but that removes the over temperature protection.

Appreciate your time on this, as I got absolutely 0 response from Sherline!

Bill

If the switch is a two-terminal device I would think it's safe to try bypassing it
What have you got to lose?

I have a motor unit from my sherline 4000 series mill (same as the one used on the lathe) which I purchased several years ago but never used. I just recently took it out of the box and found it DOA (Dead on Arrival). Not sure but I think the motor over temperature switch has failed. Is this repairable or is the unit a write off? Obviously I can bypass the switch, but that removes the over temperature protection.

Appreciate your time on this, as I got absolutely 0 response from Sherline!

Bill
Can you post some pictures of the switch/item in question?

Dkemppai - The switch is embedded in the windings of the motor, what I need to know is is it possible to remove it and replace with new. Sherline can't be bothered to answer my question

markba633csi - Bypassing the thermal switch means thermal overload protection is removed from the motor and it would be possible to burn it out by physical overloading

Add and external motor overload? IIRC the electronic ones aren't that expensive anymore, and are adjustable (But it's been a few decades since I've really worked in that field...).

Will you run the machine hard enough to even worry about burning up the motor?

No but it is only rated at 90 watts, I am used to machines with 5 horsepower!

I wouldn't worry too much about overheating at that size

If the motor has never run, what makes you think it is the thermal protection? It could be the driver board? You could by pass the thermal switch as a diagnostic tool. Do you have a way to trouble shoot the driver board?

Hook a car battery up to the motor leads and see if it spins at a reduced speed and voltage, if it runs- the motor is not your problem

Back