Ski Wax Infared Thingy

Scra99tch

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I had my friend ask if I could make him an automatic infared waxer.

He has a handheld unit that he waxes his skis with and it is a pain to get a smooth constant coverage of wax.

As I already work at a lead screw company I had access to scrap 12’ bars of just about any lead along with a matching nut. They also had some scrap 1” rod that did not clean up on the center less grinder.

With my new Bambu Labs 3D printer I design up two ends and a carriage that Has two bronze bushings to glide against the ground bars.

This will be powered with a variable speed stepper motor so he can get the correct consistency.

I just need to print the last end that holds the stepper a box to control the stepper and eventually a system of vises and a jack to level out the ski camber.

This will probably mount of a section of ply wood at some point to hold the vises.

Pretty fun little project.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpeg
    IMG_3103.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3101.jpeg
    IMG_3101.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 16
Little more progress today. Now just need to wire up and print an electrical enclosure: might need to cut some retaining clips on the ends of the screw journals. IMG_3104.jpegIMG_3105.jpeg

Proof is in the performance. Looking good so far.

John

does your friend race?
I always maintained my own skis, and never had a problem coating the ski. After coating it and allowing it to cool, you scrape it off so it's a very thin layer , a nice even coat.. Then you in the old days cork it, and later we started using a scotch brite to give it texture so that the water would keep under it and allow it to act like a lubed bearing surface (kinda like way oil).

He does not race. He probably had a horrible experience with an iron as a child. This is the system he is using. Sounds a little gimmicky.

Fun to make though and hopefully it works.

I know when he was younger his Dad bought a small trailer and had a sharpening system in it. He drive up to mountain parking lots and do a 20$ sharpening and wax service. Think most mountains these days would kick him out though as they have their own services.

Back