South Bend Heavy 10 carriage rack gear

Lucas E

Registered
Registered
Looking for the rack gear shaft and gear for a South bend heavy 10 tool room lathe. This is the gear that sits in the apron and drives the rack mounted to the bed to move the carraige.

Shaft is .749" in diameter and the whole shaft and gear is 4.1235" long. Small gear diameter is roughly 1.147". Small gear is 14 tooth and large gear is 48 tooth.

Attachments

• south bend rack gear.jpg
    south bend rack gear.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 2
Check with Ted, AKA SBLatheman over on Practical Machinist site in the South Bend sub forum. He has a lot of parts like this from when they closed the SB plant in SB.

I have the gear that I can part with. My heavy 10 fell over at some point in its life. When I received it, the hand wheel and shaft were busted/bent. There was no practical way to remove it, so I had to cut the shaft off. I don't know your situation, if you can make a new shaft....you can attach the gear to it

I have the gear that I can part with. My heavy 10 fell over at some point in its life. When I received it, the hand wheel and shaft were busted/bent. There was no practical way to remove it, so I had to cut the shaft off. I don't your situation, if you can make a new shaft....you can attach the gear to it
On my lathe the gear I'm talking about isn't connected to the handle. There is a separate shaft and gear that connects to the handwheel which then meshes with the large gear in my picture. Can you see if your gearbox is the same design? Maybe the shaft I'm in need of is in good shape. I attached a picture of the apron with the gears and shaft I'm needing. The gear circled is machined into the shaft from my first picture. The larger us then slips onto that shaft and it attached with a taper pin.

Attachments

• IMG_8512~2.jpg
    IMG_8512~2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 3
Sorry for the confusion, I misunderstood what gear you were wanting. The first picture looked like it was the gear connected to the handle wheel.

Back