Spindle bearings

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm looking to replace my spindle bearings on the headstock of my Clausing model 100 MK3. It came with Timken tapered roller bearings. I have had the headstock apart once before and tried to order the bearings through Motion Industries and never got a reply from them. so, I gave up and lost the numbers of the bearings. Max Grant on You Tube said he used regular tapered roller bearings in a headstock on one of his lathes with no problems. That may be the route I have to go since precision bearings for it may either out of sight expensive or not available at all. I have tried to tighten the bearings by taking up any slack with the outboard bearing nut but seems I still have unreasonable deflection. I have the parts diagram for the lathe, but I do not think it calls out any bearing part numbers. TIA

Motion Industries is what it used to be. I gave up trying to work with them.

Motion Industries is what it used to be. I gave up trying to work with them.
I did hundreds of thousands of businesses with them from th4e early 80's to the early 2000's. But we had a sales rep that frequently visited our plant and was eager to please us since we were such a big customer of theirs. But they have sure gone to pot since. I expected at least a call back saying they could not get what I needed but they had no record of my order and I talked to the salesperson directly over the phone right here in my own town. After waiting over a month and no reply I talked to the manager and told her how disappointed I was in her sales staff. I can get almost anything from McMaster Carr in 2 days just hate their shipping cost. Since I made this post I re checked the PDF file on the lathe and it does give Timken part numbers. And to my surprise they are just plain wheel bearings. But before I order them, I will take the spindle out of the headstock again and make sure by bore size of the inner race that they match. I ordered some ball bearings for a 3-phase motor about a year ago and the I/d of the inner races were .125" oversized. Just for the record I will never use Motion Industries again. Thanks for your response

I have ordered Clausing parts out of the UK. Their Pound is relatively close to the US Dollar value.

Once you get a Timken number, it will be an easy search for any bearing supplier.
Martin

I recall a recent post looking for higher quality spindle bearings, the UK company below had them at a much better price than the US. Might be worth checking.
This is excellent. When I pull the spindle out of it and measure it, I surely will use this vendor. As noted on the part number the A designates a different bore diameter of the inner race and that is paramount. The bearing closest to the chuck is a press fit to the spindle diameter thus eliminating any push off when in use. Thanks for the response.

The A after the part number indicates a design change they made to the bore, radius, and roller complement. They don’t show any other version of those bearings. The bore change could have been something as simple as changing the ID tolerances to match an updated standard.

A lot of people use standard grade bearings to save on cost, but TIR is only one reason for higher precision bearings, you can get better preload with a higher precision bearing, and that means more rigidity. I don’t know if you will notice that on your lathe, but it is something to think about.

If you do go with standard precision bearings, get the -2 class instead of -4, the -2 has a bit better TIR tolerances so is more likely to perform better. Class 3 would be better, but according to the BDI website, they are 8x the -2 class cost.

Back