Spindle stop

yarm2111

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I turned square ER40 collet block to fit into the spider. Now I can use it with a long rod as a spindle stop. What do you guys think?
Mike

Attachments

• 20240417_140519.jpg
    20240417_140519.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240417_140624.jpg
    20240417_140624.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 61
It is a simple approach. The one problem that I can see with it is that as you tighten the collet nut, it will draw your rod deeper which will make precision adjustment more difficult. I would suggest that you drill and thread a piece of round stock for all thread and use a jam nut to lock. That way you can easily make fine adjustments. edit: Mount the adapter in your ER40 collet.
Here is what I did for my stop.

Reactions: B2
Yes, I may add thread adjustment in the future. The other good use is to stabilize long rod as with spider, but much simpler. Used it this way today working with 3' long 3/8" round. Just out of curiosity I checked run-out at the spider end of the rod, it was under .002". Not sure I can do much better with real spider.

@yarm2111

Nice ER40 work. A long time ago I built a rod style stop for my old SB10. I used it with my collet chucks when I wanted to cut small parts to a specific length and did not want the collet clamping to draw the part in as it tightened. Now I do not even recall how I fastened it to the spindle nor where I put it!

Did you post your spider design/build somewhere? 1) From the photo I do not understand how you attached the spider to the spindle. 2) It also looks pretty hefty, what material/size did you begin with to get to this wall thickness. One of these days I hope to get around to making a spider for my PM1440GT.

Dave L.

Dave, I did not build this spider, it came with my lathe. It is threaded to the end of the spindle.

Back