Steel tube dimensions

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've been wringing the life out of the internet trying to find this information...
Is there resource that lists the external and internal dimensions of steel tubing? Say 2" x 2" .25 wall tube.

Or is it a matter of subtracting the wall thickness from the exterior dimensions?

McMaster Carr has product detail for all of their steel. So if you can find the size you are looking for on their website go to "Product Detail" and it will give you a CAD drawing of the material with tolerances.
That is one way I can think of off the top of my head

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Be aware that, except for seamless or Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) tubing, there will probably be a weld bead which may reduce the internal dimension.

Correct Extotropic. And there is a difference between pipe and tube.

Central Steel & Wire has dimensions and specofications for the products that they sell,including o.d., o.d., wt/ft., alloy composition, and mechanical properties. I have a couple of their catalogs from 45 years ago that I refer to regularly. The information is available on line as well. https://www.centralsteel.com/products/central-steel-products.php

For context, I'm trying to figure out what I need to build a detachable 2ft x 2ft table for my welding table. This is for my plasma cutter. Looking to weld a couple of 'receiver'-type square tubes under the tabletop that I can accept the detachable table arms.

The simple answer is yes, subtract 2x wall thickness from od to get id. Then comes the fine print, to include od tolerance, wall thickness tolerance, corner radius (rectangular tube) and weld bead. Do not expect 1-3/4 square tube to fit into 2 in. square x .13 wall.

In Canada, from what I've gathered on-line, I'd expect to find short lengths of receiver tubing at Princess Auto. What do you think?

In Canada, from what I've gathered on-line, I'd expect to find short lengths of receiver tubing at Princess Auto. What do you think?

Yes they have short lengths of many different sizes.
I’ll hit them on the weekend I think.

Back