T-Slot Base for new lathe tool post.

aluminum

Registered
Registered
I'm just starting out with a new lathe and I bought a new tool post. The new Aloris style post came with a base that needs to machined as a T-Slot. The base on the original turret post has a different thread so i cannot use the original one. I don't have a milling machine yet. I am hoping someone near Denver, CO would be willing to machine this with the T-Slot for me at a price that won't break my bank.

If I were doing this myself, I would face the bottom, then bring the top down to final thickness, and then cut the slots on the side. It is already drilled and tapped. I don't have a whole lot of machining experience but I am pretty sure it's this simple. Someone more experienced may have a different opinion. I'm open to better or different ways, but just trying to be descriptive. I'll add some additional photos soon.

Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• 566~2.jpeg
    566~2.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 44
You can put the stud in the T-nut, chuck up by the stud, face the bottom. Remove part from chuck, reverse the stud location, chuck up & face the top. Then mount the T-nut on the compound and using an end mill in the chuck to cut the steps. Necessity is the mother of invention.

You can put the stud in the T-nut, chuck up by the stud, face the bottom. Remove part from chuck, reverse the stud location, chuck up & face the top. Then mount the T-nut on the compound and using an end mill in the chuck to cut the steps. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Thank you. I may give this a shot, especially the facing, but it seems like it would be difficult to get the right height positioned in the compound and get it square. I don't have a lot of shim stock or even a parallel set yet, nor any experience trying to mill in a lathe. I am also having trouble getting my tool height correct in the original/stock tool post that I have. Once I get my new tool post mounted, I'll have a lot more tooling and options available for doing things like this.
I'll hold out a little longer for some help from someone with a mill. Thank you again. Good suggestion.

Welcome to the forum!!

I think my first project on my 1941 South Bend 13 was machining the same part.
Of course back then it was a bit more complicated for me.
Fortunately I had a clapped out Bridgeport for the job.

Thank you. I may give this a shot, especially the facing, but it seems like it would be difficult to get the right height positioned in the compound and get it square. I don't have a lot of shim stock or even a parallel set yet, nor any experience trying to mill in a lathe. I am also having trouble getting my tool height correct in the original/stock tool post that I have. Once I get my new tool post mounted, I'll have a lot more tooling and options available for doing things like this.
I'll hold out a little longer for some help from someone with a mill. Thank you again. Good suggestion.
Do you have a feeler gage set that comes apart in separate leafs? And a dial test indicator with magnetic base?

I believe there's no requirement for this part to be rectangular. Couldn't you do as above and cut a relief on the top side circular in the lathe?

I have also done these with an angle grinder and a file.

John

Did you ever get this resolved? If not, I may be able to help you out.

Back