Tailstock offset plates question.

How is the moveable center kept horizontal? Or do you just bang it in tight and be careful not to bump it?
Maybe this is a dumb question and I'm just not seeing something.

How is the moveable center kept horizontal? Or do you just bang it in tight and be careful not to bump it?
Maybe this is a dumb question and I'm just not seeing something.
Make an adjustable prop rod (on a magnetic base?) to support the attachment as required.

Light cuts. I don’t get in a hurry profilings a barrel.

On some of the tailstocks, usually imports, I've seen alignment plates screwed at the rear. Anyone know where I can find a discussion about them and where I might buy them for my tailstock? Seems like they would be quite handy for making tapers.
Using the model pictured in reply #3 is an exercise in futility, IMO. Below is a link to a better option. You can rig up a dial indicator, rather than use the engraved scale, to better determine offset. These types of accessories are not high precision or kinematically correct, as sold.

Maybe making a barrel mount instead of Morse taper, like the tailstock spindle, with a keyway so it would not twist or move. Then replace the the tailstock spindle with it to use for offset.
"OR"
Drill the side of the tailstock spindle and use a set screw to lock in the MT of the inserted fixture. After drilling might be a good idea to clean up the inside with a MT finish reamer! LoL

Last edited:
Back