Timing the half nut cam with the apron 5913 lathe

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
If there anyone with the 5900 or 6900 lathes I could use some help with timing the half nut cam with the apron. When I got the lathe the threads were completely gone on 1/2 of the half nut and the other half was gone. The Banjo was broken and brazed back together. One of the gears on the banjo had some teeth missing and was brazed back up but not yet machine. I have since purchased good used replacement parts and a new half nut. My half nut lever and cam seem to be 180 degrees out of time with all the pictures I have seen. I want to make sure all is right before install the apron and lead screw back on the machine and power up the lead screw. Thanks in advance. I tried calling Clausing Tech support today and got put on hold and finally they just asked if "they could call back at another time. "

If it's anything like the Atlas 618, the lever has a square sockte that the cam shaft fits into. It is possible that the PO put it back in the wrong position when he worked on the half nuts. My Atlas parts list shows two separate parts but they are riveted together at the factory. However,it is possible that your machine has them held with a re6taining screw.

Back