[How do I?] Tips on Boring with 4 jaw

Mheaton92

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone, I needed to bore a 1.476 flat bottom hole in some 6061. I was going to use the boring head but thought the lathe would be easier. I indicated it in the 4 jaw and started. I got it all done but the surface finish inside the hole is not very nice. I wasn’t able to turn my speed up because the hole was eccentric. After 400 rpm my whole lathe would shake (I have a pm1030 on a steel stand I built). If I made my stand a significant bit heavier would that help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that the problem lies with the boring tool and lubricant, you just need to run slower to eliminate the shake.

Use a counter balance if possible . :)

Check to make sure the heel of the boring bar isn't dragging on the cut. This is more of a problem with small bores but not inconceivable with a larger bore. Rotate the tool or adjusr the height if not possible to rotate. I will typically grind down the heel of my boring bars to provide clearance.

I suspect that the problem lies with the boring tool and lubricant, you just need to run slower to eliminate the shake.

That is what I did, what I was asking was about the surface finish from running aluminum slow? I’m not even sure if that is a thing. That makes sense it was the boring bar rubbing somewhere, thank you.

Check to make sure the heel of the boring bar isn't dragging on the cut. This is more of a problem with small bores but not inconceivable with a larger bore. Rotate the tool or adjusr the height if not possible to rotate. I will typically grind down the heel of my boring bars to provide clearance.

Thank you, I will have to try it.

Back