Tool holder, Summit lathe

robhumble

Registered
Registered
New to me Summit 11x32 lathe (1974 vintage). I started cleaning it up and want to put on a quick change tool holder, so I removed the 4 place indexing tool holder. I was expecting a t-slot, instead I found this.

Can I still find a quick change tool holder for it? Or will I need to change the whole compound?

Rob

IMG_4926.jpeg

Here’s the back side. It doesn’t offer much hope. Looks like I’m stuck with the 4 place indexing tool holder.

Attachments

• IMG_4958.jpeg
    IMG_4958.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 6
DON'T FORCE ANYTHING
That comes apart. Remove the screw and soak the nut assembly with your favorite penetrating oil. The bushing wedge thingie should come off of the center threaded part, it may thread on. The threaded portion should push down and out of the compound.
DON'T FORCE ANYTHING

Measure the center part and take notes, then put it all back together. Use your lathe with the 4 way to make the new flanged stud to suit your new QCTP!

Well…… not so much

The threaded part comes out after removing the set screw, but the wedge part is actually part of the compound itself and it doesn’t come off.

I’ve put it back together and am resigned to keep using the 4 way.

Attachments

• IMG_4962.jpeg
    IMG_4962.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 11
Well…… not so much

The threaded part comes out after removing the set screw, but the wedge part is actually part of the compound itself and it doesn’t come off.

I’ve put it back together and am resigned to keep using the 4 way.
If you have a mill with enough movement you could build that part...

I bought the lathe along with a Bridgeport that includes a rotary table, and the lathe is the first one I’m setting up. Not so sure that the effort to carve out a new compound will be worth the effort just to be able to use a QCTP. I’ll stick with what I have for now and then maybe later decide if I want to take that on.

Back