Toolpost Indicator Holder, modeled and printed.

Ken226

Registered
Registered
The toolpost indicator holders I see on thingiverse and being sold on Ebay have the dovetail as part of the 3d printed part.

I modeled some that can be put in a standard AXA/BXA tool holder. In case anyone is interested, I uploaded them to thingiverse.

The hole is just over 1/2" diameter x 1" deep, so the end-user can make a steel or brass threaded insert and epoxy into the hole.

Untitled.jpg

It is modeled as a set, so one can be used for each position on the standard Aloris type toolpost.

I used 3 shells, 30% hexagonal infill and plenty of tree type supports to print these test versions.

The .stl file should be available here:

Last edited:
Excellent job on that. Nice clean design.

Cutting oil is my blood.

You should print one that goes onto your tool post directly... that's what I did!

You can't lock it up hard, but a little locking is plenty for an indicator.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

You should print one that goes onto your tool post directly... that's what I did!

You can't lock it up hard, but a little locking is plenty for an indicator.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

I could have, but there are tons of those all over Thingiverse. I did the one above just because there were none like it.

It was more of a CAD practice exercise than anything, kinda like the T. Carreras Soto drawings I posted in the Alibre CAD subforum.

Just adding to my Thingiverse design library. It would be pretty easy to add the dovetail to this modelthough.

For my own personal use, I already have two from Edge Technology. The rightmost one is neat. The indicator rotates 180° and came with an adapter that allows it to indicate inside holes.

Top right in the pic

Last edited:
I used 3 shells, 30% hexagonal infill and plenty of tree type supports to print these test versions.

The .stl file should be available here:

Can you explain what the tree type supports are?

-EDIT- I Googled it. Got the answer.

Last edited:
Do Cura and other slicer programs have the linear accordion type supports?

They seem to work better than tree supports for large flat horizontal areas with empty space below them.

They're great for internal voids that are hard to get too.

For the fan mount, I was able to grab an end of the support with needle nose pliers and pull the whole support out, in one piece. Mostly.

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_131439438.jpg
    IMG_20221005_131439438.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20221005_131505853.jpg
    IMG_20221005_131505853.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20220927_195736963.jpg
    IMG_20220927_195736963.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Back