Torque Wrench and Guidance

StudioMachinist

Registered
Registered
I realize I'm being a bit over protective and anal here (just purchased a new PM lathe and mill), but I'm interested in some general guidance on torque specs for column mounting bolts, work holding clamps, etc - anything related to taking apart and operating a mill/lathe.

I work in construction and I know when im about to strip a bolt but i don't know how much I need to wrench down and on what with these machines.

Has anyone ever documented a general guide? I don't have lb-ft intuition, is there a good torque wrench that could be recommended for the new owner of a PM-727 and PM-1130?

I swear I'm not OCD, but it will break my heart of I unnecessary strip cast iron threads or throw a part because I was too afraid to over tighten the some clamp.

Search “ bolt torque guidelines” and you’ll find more info than you want. PM should also be able to provide specs based on expected loads and materials of construction.

That said, I didn’t use a torque wrench when I shimmed the column on my fixed-column Mini-Mill.

Search “ bolt torque guidelines” and you’ll find more info than you want. PM should also be able to provide specs based on expected loads and materials of construction.

That said, I didn’t use a torque wrench when I shimmed the column on my fixed-column Mini-Mill.
You're not joking. This helps a lot, thanks

I realize I'm being a bit over protective and anal here (just purchased a new PM lathe and mill), but I'm interested in some general guidance on torque specs for column mounting bolts, work holding clamps, etc - anything related to taking apart and operating a mill/lathe.

I work in construction and I know when im about to strip a bolt but i don't know how much I need to wrench down and on what with these machines.

Has anyone ever documented a general guide? I don't have lb-ft intuition, is there a good torque wrench that could be recommended for the new owner of a PM-727 and PM-1130?

I swear I'm not OCD, but it will break my heart of I unnecessary strip cast iron threads or throw a part because I was too afraid to over tighten the some clamp.
I will say this , auto tech for 30 plus years many many many people over torque and unevenly torque more than under torgue.
For the exception of people just forgetting to tighten something.

You can find basic torque tables for size and grade of nuts and bolts
Im not a machinist and do not have a Machinery Handbook yet but would not surprise me if this guide table is in there. Its probably in on of those pocket reference books also. Then as always on the interwebs.

These will at least get you in the ball park with out actual manufactures specs.

For most applications a old school beam torque wrench should do well enough. Want to get phancy tou can spend on high tech stuff also.

Generally a average/standard wrench should apply enough torque when you get close to “grunt” tight. Just holding it with a normal grip.

My dad used to say
Humans are pretty good at judging distance, time ,level but strength? Nope

My dad gave me one of these when I first started messing with things with motors, I was 12 . Its been a go to tool ever since.
I marked off a few common specs for things like drain plugs , spark plugs and such that need torque but its not super critical.

For the critical stuff I have other options. 1/4 3/8 1/2 drive
Dial type to digital

Attachments

• E1DDC938-95CB-4F15-8AF7-785010F8083C.jpeg
    E1DDC938-95CB-4F15-8AF7-785010F8083C.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2721FD61-B94D-421E-A37E-8A130CB07162.jpeg
    2721FD61-B94D-421E-A37E-8A130CB07162.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 4
Back